Stack Exchange Network
Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow , the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It only takes a minute to sign up.
Q&A for work
Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search.
What is the correct phrase to describe an ongoing study for a PhD?
She is doing a PhD in the X program at Y University,
She is working towards a PhD in the X program at Y University,
She is studying for a PhD in the X program at Y University.
- I've heard all three. How formal is the context? – Jeff Zeitlin Nov 7, 2017 at 21:34
- PhD is a combination of work and study so I’d go with doing or getting. – AffableAmbler Nov 7, 2017 at 21:44
- It will be used in a formal context, on a university website or in anewsletter. – meltem Nov 7, 2017 at 21:45
I'm not sure that this is actually a grammar question, as all of the choices follow the same grammatical structure. However, based on word choice, I would select your second option of:
She is working towards a Ph.D. in the ~~ program at ~~ University.
An alternative way to refer to a Ph.D. is a Doctorate degree, and as such the colloquialism changes to:
She is doing her Doctorate (degree) in (the) ~~ (program) at ~~ University.
Using the verb doing instead of saying working toward for this colloquialism is acceptable. Meaning, a sentence like this makes perfect sense:
She is doing her Doctorate in Computer Science at Caltech.
or as you describe above:
She is working towards a Ph.D. in Computer Science at Caltech.
- 1 You wouldn't capitalize "Doctorate" in this case as it isn't the actual name of the degree. – Azor Ahai -him- Nov 8, 2017 at 1:14
Sign up or log in, post as a guest.
Required, but never shown
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged word-choice phrase-usage or ask your own question .
- Featured on Meta
- We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup
- Planned Maintenance scheduled March 2nd, 2023 at 01:00 AM UTC (March 1st,...
- Should we update our site's policy against helping programmers choose names...
Hot Network Questions
- RV coach and starter batteries connect negative to chassis; how does energy from either batteries' + terminal know which battery to flow back to?
- Dealing with hard questions during a software developer interview
- Mathematica cannot NIntegrate
- Do German ministers decide themselves how to vote in EU decisions or do they have to follow a government line?
- Is email scraping still a thing for spammers
- Dot product of vector with camera's local positive x-axis?
- Easiest way to remove 3/16" drive rivets from a lower screen door hinge?
- Command line calculator in C
- Are there conventions to indicate a new item in a list?
- How can the mass of an unstable composite particle become complex?
- How to digitize the vector figure?
- LEM current transducer 2.5 V internal reference
- Suspicious referee report, are "suggested citations" from a paper mill?
- How do I test for voltage drop?
- Book about a good dark lord, think "not Sauron"
- How did Dominion legally obtain text messages from Fox News hosts?
- Does Cosmic Background radiation transmit heat?
- Why did the Soviets not shoot down US spy satellites during the Cold War?
- So what *is* the Latin word for “chocolate”?
- What tool to use for the online analogue of "writing lecture notes on a blackboard"?
- Strange behavior of tikz-cd with remember picture
- Story Identification: Nanomachines Building Cities
- Help me understand the context behind the "It's okay to be white" question in a recent Rasmussen Poll, and what if anything might these results show?
- Is this an exploitative offer?
What is another word for phd ?
Synonyms for phd phd, this thesaurus page is about all possible synonyms, equivalent, same meaning and similar words for the term phd ., princeton's wordnet.
Ph.D., PhD noun
a doctorate usually based on at least 3 years graduate study and a dissertation; the highest degree awarded graduate study
- Doctor Of Philosophy
PPDB, the paraphrase database (0.00 / 0 votes) Rate these paraphrases:
List of paraphrases for "phd":
ph.d. , doctoral , doctorate , ph.d , doctorat , ph. , doctor , dr. , d.phil.
Nicknames (0.00 / 0 votes) Rate these nicknames:
List of known nicknames for "PHD":
PH.D... , Patrick Joseph Henry , Patrick Henry , P. Henry
Concise Medical Dictionary, by Joseph C Segen, MD (0.00 / 0 votes) Rate these synonyms:
Synonyms: Doctor of Philosophy, doctorate in Philosophy, Philosophiae Doctor
Song lyrics by phd -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by phd on the Lyrics.com website.
What does PHD stand for? -- Explore the various meanings for the PHD acronym on the Abbreviations.com website.
How to pronounce phd?
How to say phd in sign language, words popularity by usage frequency, how to use phd in a sentence.
Aveek Bhattacharya :
I was basically going to default to academia, I was pretty sure I was going to do a PhD when I started my masters.
David Wessel :
It's short-hand, it's a rule of thumb, the average person can understand it. You don't need a PhD in Economics to add together two numbers.
Janet Dafoe :
I got a PhD. That was hard, i've climbed mountains. That was hard.
Karthik Athreya :
Writers who have not taken a year of PhD coursework in a decent economics department (and passed their PhD qualifying exams), cannot meaningfully advance the discussion on economic policy.
D Duane Steward PhD :
The ultimate lesson to prohibition is two-fold. Watch out for solutions that end up worse than the problems they set out to solve, and remember the Constitution is no place for experiments, noble or otherwise.” – D. Duane Steward, PhD
Visual Synonyms of phd
Translations for phd, from our multilingual translation dictionary.
- دكتوراه Arabic
- phd Spanish
- دکترا Persian
- पीएचडी Hindi
- இளநிலை Tamil
- doktora Turkish
- پی ایچ ڈی Urdu
- 博士学位 Chinese
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
Style: MLA Chicago APA
"phd." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2023. Web. 2 Mar. 2023. < https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/phd >.
Discuss these phd synonyms with the community:
We're doing our best to make sure our content is useful, accurate and safe. If by any chance you spot an inappropriate comment while navigating through our website please use this form to let us know, and we'll take care of it shortly.
You need to be logged in to favorite .
Create a new account.
Your name: * Required
Your email address: * Required
Pick a user name: * Required
Username: * Required
Password: * Required
Forgot your password? Retrieve it
Are we missing a good synonym for phd ?
Image credit, the web's largest resource for, synonyms & antonyms, a member of the stands4 network, image or illustration of.
Free, no signup required :, add to chrome, add to firefox, are you a human thesaurus, a synonym for scanty.
- A. Gumption
- B. Dearth
- C. Spurious
- D. Inaugurate
Nearby & related entries:
- Phats Bossi
- pheasant coucal
- pheasant cuckoo
- pheasant under glass
Alternative searches for phd :
- Search for phd on Amazon
- Search for phd on Google
- Words with Friends Cheat
- Wordle Solver
- Word Unscrambler
- Scrabble Dictionary
- Anagram Solver
- Wordscapes Answers
Sign up to make the most of YourDictionary
- Daily Grammar Tips
- Word of the Day
- Fun Language Articles
We'll see you in your inbox soon.
Synonyms for phd, words related to phd, phd sentence examples.
The center has also supported a PhD thesis on the legal consequences of having the directives implemented.
His current PhD research focuses on how documentary film can be used for design research.
He went on to gain his PhD in 1984 and was appointed a lectureship at the Veterinary School in the same year.
PhD projects are available for students interested in studying morphogenesis in cell culture or in a developmental context in the fly.
He transferred to the University of GÃ¶ttingen in Germany to study neurobiology, and went on to obtain a PhD .
Words that mention phd in the Dictionary
- advanced degree
Words near phd in the Thesaurus
- Phegopteris connectilis
- Phegopteris hexagonoptera
- phencyclidine hydrochloride
What is another word for phd .
- doctorate academic degree of highest rank
- doctor academic degree of highest rank, pursuit
- advanced degree
- doctoral degree
- postgrad degree
- postgraduate degree academic degree of highest rank
- recipient pursuit
- grad pursuit
- alum pursuit
- alumnus pursuit
- degree college degree
- graduate degree college degree
- undergraduate degree college degree
- former student
- associate degree
- academic degree
synonyms for PhD · advanced degree · doctoral degree · doctorate · master's · master's degree · postgrad degree.
synonyms for Ph.D. · alum · alumna · alumnus · doctor · grad · recipient · baccalaureate · bachelor
synonyms for doctoral degree · PhD · advanced degree · doctorate · master's · master's degree · postgrad degree.
An alternative way to refer to a Ph.D. is a Doctorate degree, and as such the colloquialism changes to: She is doing her Doctorate (degree) in (
What is another word for PhD? ; Master of Arts · Master of Science ; person with a degree · Ph.D. ; BA · BSc ; MA · DPhil ; MSc · postgraduate.
What is another word for Ph.D.? ; higher degree · doctorate ; Doctor of Philosophy · research degree ; university degree
to do one's phd translation in English - English Reverso dictionary, see also 'once',on',onset',owner', examples, definition, conjugation.
ph.d., doctoral, doctorate, ph.d, doctorat, ph., doctor, dr., d.phil.
Find another word for phd. In this page you can discover 14 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for phd, like: phd, , msc, mphil
31 PhD synonyms. What are another words for PhD? Doctorate, doctor, advanced degree, doctoral degree. Full list of synonyms for PhD is here.