Make sure there's no plagiarism in your paper
Write your essays better and faster with free samples
Generate citations for your paper free of charge
100 Extended Essay Topics, the Essay’s Layout, and Additional Info
Updated 02 Mar 2023
The International Baccalaureate (IB) is an educational foundation with worldwide outreach founded in 1968 and which offers education programs to students or pupils 3 to 19 years old. In 2017, more than 4,650 schools worldwide taught International Baccalaureate programs – this corresponds to roughly 1.4 million IB students in 152 countries. Out of all schools, 1700 are located in the US alone.
An important International Baccalaureate Program (one of the four tracks available) is the Diploma Program aimed at students between 16 and 19 years old – in 2016, roughly 150,000 students worldwide took an IB Diploma Program exam. One of the mandatory IB Diploma requirements is to write an extended essay, which contributes significantly to the total score. Below, we provide some guiding information and a selection of extended essay topics to help get you started with this task.
Definition and Purpose
The IB extended essay is part of the core requirements/curriculum of an IB Diploma Program and involves focused independent research by the IB student on a chosen theme. Resulting papers have a typical length of up to 4000 words long (they should tend to reach this, although writing 3500 words can still be acceptable). A low score (E) for the extended paper and/or Theory of Knowledge essay revokes the right to receive an IB Diploma. By contrast, good marks contribute to the overall score, which could impact a student’s college application success.
While submission deadlines for extended essays are set by the IB, schools are free to set their own internal deadlines. Preparation and work on this assignment spans several academic terms – this includes choosing extended essay topics, submitting proposals, designating supervisors, information gathering (e.g. sources from local libraries), writing a draft (for instance, over a summer break), receiving feedback from supervisors, etc.
IB Extended Essay Layout
There are six required elements in an extended essay layout:
- Title page – should include the title, research question (e.g. “How did phenomenon A cause phenomenon B?”), subject it is registered in, category (for language essays), essay theme and subjects used (for world studies), total word count.
- Contents page – should be at the beginning listing headings and subheadings along with corresponding page numbers these can be found on (all pages should be numbered).
- Introduction – should describe the focus and scope of this research, used sources, line of argument to be presented.
- Essay body – this is the main section where research, analysis, discussion, and evaluation is being performed. The structure might vary from subject to subject but it is essential that evidence and argument development is presented clearly and in appropriate order.
- Conclusion – conclusions state what has been accomplished through this research, but also potential limitations, unsolved issues, open questions.
- References and bibliography – students should adhere to a chosen academic citation style and use it consistently (different citations styles might be required depending on the discipline).
A methodology section or other sections might also be appropriate. Also, there might be an Appendices section if you have supplementary material to add (this is not included in the total word count). Also note that starting with 2018, no abstract is needed – adding it will unnecessarily steal roughly 300 words from the total word count, which will almost certainly prove detrimental (so it’s wise to skip it).
How to Choose a Good Topic
IB students must take six subjects, one from each subject group (there are 6 in total) with the exception that no subject from the sixth group (Arts) is mandatory and can be substituted with a subject from any of the other five groups. IB extended essay topics are normally chosen so that they are related to subjects picked by the student but they must fall into a course belonging to any of the following six subject groups (categories):
- Group 1: Studies in language and literature – this includes subjects like student's native language, Language and Literature, Literature and Performance (interdisciplinary).
- Group 2: Language acquisition – this includes an additional language (either deepening existing knowledge or starting one from zero).
- Group 3: Individuals and societies – includes humanities and social science courses such as Economics, Geography, History, Business Management, Information Technology in a Global Society (ITGS), Psychology, Philosophy, Social and Cultural Anthropology and Global Politics, Environmental Systems and Societies, World Religions (interdisciplinary).
- Group 4: Experimental sciences - Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Design Technology, Computer Science, Sport, Exercise and Health Science, Environmental Systems (interdisciplinary), Societies and Nature of Science (interdisciplinary).
- Group 5: Mathematics. Mathematical Studies, Mathematics, Further Mathematics.
- Group 6: Arts – Dance, Music, Theatre, Foreign Languages, Visual Arts, and Film.
It is highly recommended you choose a topic that interests and motivates you – after all, you’ll be working on and perfecting your extended paper over several months. Some challenge (e.g. unfamiliar fields) is also fine but risks should be reasonable. Choose issues that are narrow enough to be explored and covered comprehensively in 4000 words – attempting to do this with a very broad theme, would look very unprofessional.
In order to pick an interesting topic, it might be very useful to have brainstorm sessions on your own (this will help you focus on your interests) but also to browse the web or other resources for lists of potential themes (especially if you feel confused or stuck) – it could very well happen that one such topic would inspire you to choose a related one, which would be even better adjusted to your interests and goals.
Choosing a topic is not the only challenge encountered while writing an extended essay – writing up in a clear, organized manner and using correct language is also a must. Even if you proofread your extended paper several times, there might still be errors you can skip (occasional comas, wrong spellings, etc.).
Need more writing assistance?
Connect with our top writers and receive a paper sample crafted to your needs.
100 IB Extended Essay Topic Ideas
Below is a list of IB extended essay topic ideas sorted by subject that might help you identify a favorite.
Biology extended essay topics
- Escherichia Coli as One of the Most Widespread Food-Borne Pathogen
- What Is Systems Biology And How Does It Contribute To The Study Of Obesity?
- From The Lab To The Clinic: Synthetic Biology At The Front Line Of Translational Research
- Will Increasing The Concentration Of Vermiculite In The Substrate Increase Seedling Survival And Growth Of Phaseolus Vulgaris Seeds?
- Is Resurrection Biology Both An Ethical And Sustainable Concept?
- The Role Of The Biotechnology In The Current Pandemic Of Covid-19
- Meat Vs Plant-Based Diet: An Overview For The Healthiest Diet For Strength-Based Athletes
- Plant Phenolics And Terpenoids As Antibacterial Agents
- Bioremediation Of Waste Water By Using Microorganisms
- Coronaviruses Characteristics: Structure, Naming, Multiplication, Implications And Control
Read also: 170 Interesting Biology Research Paper Topics
Essay Examples Relevant to Biology
Psychology extended essay topics
- The Way How Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Helps in Usual Life
- Paradigm Shift to Governance Ensuring Gender Equality
- Minimization of Biases and Increasing of Objective Decision Making
- A Correlational Study Of Mental Health, Resilience and Happiness
- Connection of Morality with Function of a Human Being
- Self-Esteem and Self-Satisfaction as Tools to be Happy
- Attention Processing and The Impact of Stroop Effect
- Depression and Suicidal Ideation in Children: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is the Strongest Way to Get Rid of Child Depression
Essay Examples Relevant to Psychology
- Childhood Experience
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Child Abuse
English extended essay topics
- Development Of Creative Writer Identity By English Language Learners
- To What Extent Does Social Media Improve Language Development?
- The Development And Peculiarities Of Standard English
- The Peculiarities Of Teaching English Language To Beginners
- Impacts Of Social Networks On Construction Of English Language
- The Role Of English Language In The Field Of Advertisement And Business
- Problems And Solution Of English Language Popularity In Education
- Modern Approaches And Methods In Teaching English Language
- The Impact Of Wattpad On English Language Development Among Teenagers
- The Discourse, Lexis And Grammatical Features Of The Spoken English Language
Essay Examples Relevant to English
- English Language
Literature extended essay topics
- The Souls of Black Folk': An Analysis of Double Consciousness
- The Picture of Dorian Gray': Aesthetic Principles in the Book
- The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man': Kobe Bryant's Genuine Nature
- The History of Gothic Literature
- Exploring How Dante the Pilgrim is Different to Dante the Poet
- A Short Analysis of Andrew Marvell’s ‘The Definition of Love’
- Robert Browning: Analysis of 'The Last Ride Together'
- The Picture of Dorian Gray': The Conflict Between Aestheticism and Morality
- Ego Defense Mechanisms Shown By The Female Protagonist In The Walking Dead: Michonne Game
- How can Carbon Capture Technology Help Make the Chemical Industry More Sustainable and Is It Viable? Essay
Read also: Literary Analysis Essay Topics for Students
Essay Examples Relevant to Literature
- Slaughterhouse Five
Geography extended essay topics
- Skills, Knowledge, Personal Development, And Potential For Geography Teacher
- Essay on the Internet Revolution and the Geography of Innovation
- Response of the Caribbean ecosystem following the Deepwater Horizon oil spill
- Salt accumulation in soil resulting from unsustainable irrigation practices
- Anticipated climate change impact on oceanic currents
- Massive power outages caused by solar storms – future prevention strategies
- Massive eruption of the Vesuvius supervolcano as the potential cause of Neanderthal extinction
- Polar vortex instability resulting from climate change
- Siberian permafrost thawing – current estimates of methane volume risking to be released and potential implications (according to models)
- Impact of fertilizers on the ecosystem of the Mississippi river
Save your time with free essay samples on Geography
History extended essay topics.
- An Argument for and Against The Philippines Getting Separated from Spain in 1898
- An Analysis of The War Between The American and Philippine as Depicted in Mark Twain's Article
- Differences Between Northern and Southern American Colonies in 1600s
- Jay Gould: One of The Robber Barons and Captains of Industry
- The Context and Influence of Concordant Proclamation of The Thirteen Colonies of The USA
- A Comparative Research on The Three Sections of The Thirteen Colonies: The New England, Middle, and Southern Colonies
- The Reasons of Many Colonists Dying in Early Jamestown
- The Effects of Hurricane Katrina Has Left New Orleans Sinking Slowly
- Positive Events That Happened During the Revolution
- The American Civil War': Role of Abraham Lincoln in Civil War Essay
Essay Examples Relevant to History
- 20th Century
- Nazi Concentration Camps
Physics extended essay topics
- A Lab Experiment on Measuring The Movement of a Pendulum by Determining The Pendulum's Properties
- An Experiment to Determine the Unknown Tension by Using the Components of the Force Vectors in Equilibrium
- The Scientists of the Theory of Light and Their Main Ideas
- Analyzing the Relationship Between Physics and Human Behavior
- Harmful Blue Light Emitted by Electronic Devices and Methods to Block It
- Speed Monitoring System Using CCTV: Analytical Essay
- Removal or Maintaining a Speed Limit at Motorways: Argumentative Essay
- Analytical Essay on Types and Speed of Network
- Advantages and Disadvantages of High-Speed Rail: Analytical Essay
- General Overview and Categories of High-Speed Rail
Essay Examples Relevant to Physics
- Space Exploration
Film extended essay topics
- How Science Has Contributed To The Film And Television Industry And Its Impact On Society
- Film Techniques In Tim Burton Movie Alice In Wonderland
- The Differences In Film And Novel Of Snow White
- Identification Of The Film Theories About The Movie Life Of Pi And All The Methods Used In The Production Of It
- The Role Of Technology In Science Fiction Film Gattaca And Short Story Movement
- The Themes And Ideas Of Halloween Film
- Psychoanalytic Theory In The Film Lalaland
- Semiotics in Films: Theory, Functions and Examples
- Cinematography, Photography And Film Making As My Scholarly Interests
- Sexual Abuse Issues in Film Industry
Save your time with free essay samples on Film
Economics extended essay topics.
- What Is Capitalism and What Are Its Main Features? Essay
- Central Banks Independence from Government
- Workers’ Compensation Law Overview
- Positive Effects of Inflation on the Economy
- When Should You Use a Workers' Compensation Lawyer?
- The Problem of Economic Inequality in Modern South Africa
- Sociocultural Effects of Racial Income Inequality in the United States
- Credit Card Fraud and Its Impact on Consumer Perception: An Essay
- The Problem of the Wealth Gap in Contemporary American Society
- Analysis of the Effect of Compensation and Reward System in Enhancing Employee's Productivity
Essay Examples Relevant to Economics
- Global Economy
World religion studies extended essays topics
- The Beliefs And Practices Of Judaism And Buddhism
- Comparative Study Of Buddhism And Jainism
- The Concept Of The Soul In Major World Religions
- Comparison And Contrast Of Hinduism And Buddhism
- The Rituals Of Monotheistic Religions: Islam, Christianity, And Judaism
- Comparing And Contrasting The Three Giants: Judaism, Islam, And Christianity
- Three's A Crowd: Jesus In The Abrahamic Religions Of Islam, Christianity And Judaism
- The Differences Between Hinduism And Christianity
- Scientology And Christianity: What Is In Common?
- Traditions And Goals Of Buddhism, Brahmanism And Jainism
Essay Examples Relevant to World Religion Studies
- Jesus Christ
Need Some Expert Help?
While provided topics might be helpful in inspiring a research subject, don’t forget that you can always use our essay topic generator to explore even more topics from multiple categories. Also, you can choose to delegate the entire task to our writing experts – you can pick them yourself by reviewing their previous performance on our platform).
Our writers could come up with a topic or pick your favorite one, do all related research, and provide you with a final proofread paper. Our policies guarantee as many free revisions as necessary until you are satisfied with your paper (only after this, money is released to your writer). So if you need help with any writing task, don’t hesitate to contact our services.
Get 100+ more unique topics for your paper!
Was this helpful, thanks for your feedback.
Written by Dr. Mart
Good day, students! I’m Dr. Mart (Ph.D.). I like when everything is logic, thus, the papers I make are always well-structured and without any redundant information. I’m eager to write some difficult documents which require strong analysis and advanced calculations. It’s extremely interesting for me to imitate styles of writing, and my customers say I do it really well. I also like modern literature. One of my favourite authors, Fredrick Backman, wrote once: Never trust people who do not have something in their lives that they love beyond all reason. And I have writing that makes me feel alive and important.
Related Blog Posts
Inspiring informative essay topics in 2023 + writing tips.
Table of contents How to Choose Informative Essay Topic Ideas? 👍 Good Informative Essay Topics 🔝 Top Informative Essay Topics 🖊️ ...
130+ Reflective Essay Topics For All Students
When trying to think about the best topic ideas, you may end up with endless possibilities. Because this can turn out to be a very daunting task, y...
Receive regular updates, discounts, study guides and more
You have subscribed to EduBirdie news.
Thanks for subscribing!
Check your inbox to verify your email.
Extended Essay: Home
- Step 1 - Choosing a Subject
- Step 2 - Choosing a Topic
- Step 3 - Draft a Research Question
- Step 4 - Finding Sources
- Step 5 - Evaluating Information
- Step 6 - Bibliography & Citation
- Step 7 - Organizing Information
- The Arts: Visual Arts
- Individuals & Societies: Business Management
- Individuals & Societies: History
- Individuals & Societies: Psychology
- Language Acquisition
- Language and Literature
- Sciences: Biology
- Sciences: Sports, Exercise, and Health Sciences
- Interdisciplinary Papers: World Studies
- Assessment Criteria
What is the Extended Essay?
- Next: Step 1 - Choosing a Subject >>
- Last Updated: Dec 10, 2022 12:51 PM
- URL: https://k497.libguides.com/extendedessay
English Extended Essay Topics
Free IB English extended essay topics list for College and University is suggested here by experts. All the topics are new and cover several areas of English like literature, English language, and various literary themes. English extended essays can be written by doing complete research on the topic of the essay.
Such essays are written by elaborating every element of the topic and that is why known as extended essays. International baccalaureate offers so many IB diploma and certificate courses in various subjects and students have to write these extended essays on their respective subjects. Those who have taken English for the IB course can select any topic, which is listed below to complete IB English extended essay.
So follow the IB English extended essay structure and write your essay on any listed topic for College easily.
Consult Essay Writing Expert & Get Premium Essay Topics
What is an english extended essay.
English extended essays are assigned to the students pursuing an International Baccalaureate diploma in English. The essay is written after complete research and critical analysis on the topic. Such essays are assigned to the students of the course so that a good understanding of research could be inculcated in the students for higher studies.
Every student is assigned a subject for the essay in which he has to write an essay by analyzing every aspect of the topic. A college student who is writing such an essay must possess in-depth knowledge on the subject of the essay as a high level of research is needed to write the essay
Why IB diploma course students are given English extended essays?
How to set the structure of the ib english extended essay.
- English Extended essay topics for College and University Students (The development of English Language)
Free extended essay topics ideas on English Poetry
- Best English extended essay topics Based on American Literature
- IB English extended essay topics about modernism to college students
Extended essay ( EE ) topics for IB English diploma course on Renaissance
- Free English extended essay topics ideas – related to Victorian literature
Latest Extended Essay Topics in English Based on the age of Romanticism
Examples of english extended essay topics about neoclassical literature, pay to get the best ib english extended essay writing services.
The English extended essays are given to the IB diploma course students of English so that students can get an understanding of writing research-based essays.
Such essays are assigned to the students before their admission in the various research degree courses in Colleges and Universities. The overall purpose is to give exposure to research before plunging into the core research field.
So those who are going to write these essays must go through professional examples of English extended essays. It will give them a direction and orientation to write a perfect essay for the IB English diploma course.
The IB English extended essay structure is similar to that of any other essay and written by dividing the essay in the five-paragraph essay outline format. That is the Thesis statement , Introduction, Main body of the essay, conclusion, and Bibliography.
Apart from it, one has to go through writing the Abstract of the essay like that of the dissertation abstract and a cover page including the title and content of the essay. An extended essay can be written in the way a long essay is written for College and University by the students.
The length of the essay varies from 3500 to 4500 words and that is why it is known as an extended essay in which the writer is supposed to cover all the aspects of the topic.
English Extended essay topics for College and University Students (T he development of English Language)
- Why we can see the glimpses of French words in the English language. Is it symbolic to prove that English has its roots in the French language?
- Why the euphemism in the English language is prevalent for a long time and how it affects the vocabulary and structure of the language?
- Can we say that English is a language of customs and traditions that has no hard and fast rules like other languages of the world?
- What role does slang play in the English language and how they are now being kept in the formal and academic dictionaries of English?
- What are the major reasons behind the progressive changes in the spellings of English words with time?
- How British English is different from that of American English and which one is considered superior to others?
- How does the English of the lower-class vary from that of upper-class English when it comes to accent and slang? Can we relate it to the play Pygmalion written by George Bernard Shaw?
- Role of globalization on the development of the English language when it becomes the lingua franca of every tongue.
- How the poetry used to be the text of upper classes in English literature in the era of renaissance and classical age. As poor people were considered unsuitable for reading poetry until the end of the classical period.
- Why there are major shifts in the style of poetry writing from Shakespearean sonnets to Alexander pope’s rape of the lock and John Milton’s paradise lost in English poems?
- How the heroic couplets of the neoclassical age were different from that of the poetry of the romantic era and why there were so many rules in classical poetry?
- What led to the major changes in the importance of poetry at the end of the romantic period where we can see the craze for prose like novels amongst the common masses? Can we say that novae rich were the purpose behind this dynamic shift in poetry that reflects through the literature?
- Why there are fragmentation and no interconnectivity between the different stanzas of poems in modernist poetry? How it can be related to anarchy in the age of modernism?
- How many types of poetry we can see from the age of renaissance in English literature to the modernism and postmodernism period?
- Does colonialism have its impact on contemporary poetry and how it changes through the different phases of colonial rule?
Best English extended essay topics Based on American Literature
- How we can see the resistance to the abolishment of slavery in America through the slaves when we read Mark twain’s adventurous of huckleberry fin?
- Can we see the theme of early modernism in William Faulkner’s the sound and fury in which the people the characters of the novels are disturbed and living in nostalgia most of the time?
- How do the American dreams prove out to be a complete failure which can be seen through the various American novels and other literary texts?
- How death will and passion for the countryside can be seen in American literature?
- What are the major literary texts of American literature which throw lights upon the failure of the American dream, absurdity, and destruction of nature?
- How does the Novel The Road written by American author Cormac McCarthy depict the destruction caused to nature by the weapons which indirectly hints towards the arms industry of America?
- How we can see the resistance of slavery in America by slaves through various literary texts? Why slaves were against the anti-slavery movement in America.
- What are the reasons behind the failure of the American dream and how it is shown in texts like the old man and the sea written by Ernest Hemmingway?
Hire an Essay Writer to Write your Complete Essay on Time
Ib english extended essay topics about modernism to college students.
- What were the major identical texts that depict the modernism themes like anarchy, absurdity, and complete disorder in the mental state of people?
- Can we consider the post-war literature as modernism literature and why it is termed modernism literature?
- How the themes of modernity can be seen in the Novel like The Heart of Darkness written by Joseph Conrad on slavery?
- Can we say that modernist poems have no relation between the different stanza and they express the contemporary state of mind of people after the world war?
- Why there are texts like the sound and fury in modernism and how do they justify the themes like anarchy, absurdity, nostalgia, and digested news?
- Why T.S Eliot’s wasteland is a modernist text and how it shows the anarchy in the world through the text?
- Is there any hard and fast rule to differentiate Victorian literature from that of modernism and postmodernism literature in English?
- How the age of the renaissance comes with a massive change in the mind of people towards literature?
- Why Shakespeare is considered as one of the greatest dramatists, poets, and play writers of the age? Is the theme of universality in his work forms the reason for his popularity throughout the world?
- What role was played by the printing press in the massive bloom of literature in that particular age?
- How were the socio-political and economic conditions of the renaissance period and what texts represent them in the best way?
- Can we see the glimpses of colonialism through Shakespeare’s play the tempest in which characters like Calvin and Arial are considered savage just like the way the British considered its colonized people?
- Why the age of the renaissance is considered as best for the bloom of literature and how the contemporary queens and kings were patronizing the literary people and their art?
- What evidences we can trace through the renaissance literature which shows the rise in trade with the coming of the printing press.
- How Metaphysical poetry and modern man can be related to the renaissance period. Can we understand it through the John Donne poetry and Christopher Marlow’s play Dr. Faustus?
Free English extended essay topics ideas – related to Victorian literature
- Why Victorian literature depicts the miserable plight of women that belongs to the upper class as they have to remain in the four walls of the house?
- What Victorian texts like novels mock the lifestyle of women in the upper class during the Victorian period?
- How Jane Austen’s Novel Pride and Prejudice shows the purpose of women’s beauty and education is just limited to managing a good husband with high fortune.
- Why we can say that the Victorian era is not an age which shows the glimpses of free women who can go out to earn?
- Can we say that Alexander’s rape of the lock mocks the lifestyle of women in the early Victorian era?
- What are the reasons which increase the faith of people in God during the age of the Victorian period and how we can prove it through the David Copperfield Novel is written by Charles Dickens?
- How important prose was during the Victorian age and why poetry loses its sheen in this time which earlier used to be considered as the most popular way of literary writings?
- What laid the foundation of the new Victorian era and how it is shown by the novelist in their novels?
- Can we say that people in the Victorian era were moving towards the city and urbanization at its peak?
- Why people were disgusted by the rules and regulations of the neo-classical age of literature and how it reflects in the romantic era of literature?
- How English romantic age of literature is different from that of the American romantic period?
- Which age of literature in English is known as the black period and why it is considered so?
- How ST. Coleridge through the poem like the rime of ancient mariner protects nature in the romantic period?
- Why do we have glimpses of modernism literature in the poem Kubla Khan written by the ST? Coleridge which is a masterpiece of the age?
- Which poem reflects the themes of the romantic period of literature like nostalgia, escapism, and naturalism?
- How people were moving back towards villages and countryside in the romantic period from the urbanization?
- Which instances lead to the rebellious work in romanticism against classical literature?
- Why there were proper heroic couplets and rhyme schemes in classic poetry during neo classical age?
- Can we consider Alexander Pope’s the rape of the lock as the classic epic text of the Neoclassical age?
- How the poetry used to be a symbol of class in the classic age of literature and why did people from the lower class have no connection to the poetry?
- Can we say that modernism and romantic poetry were written in simple language and it does not represent the upper class?
- Why do people start following set rules of poetry and prose in literature when the neoclassical age starts in English literature?
- What does Samuel Johnson convey through his poem the vanity of human wishes which is written in the classical period of literature?
- It is said most of the time that the classical age is an age of epithets in literature. Is it true and if yes then substantiate the reasons.
- Why did novels and plays become important in the post-classic period of literature suddenly with the rise of the middle class in Europe?
- How the classical literature of America is different from that of the literature of Europe? Justify the relevant texts of literature written in the contemporary period?
Consult with USA Essay Writers to Write your College Essay
IB extended essays are research-based long essays that can go beyond 4000 words count and there cannot be written easily by college students. That is why Students Assignment Help experts are offering IB English extended essay writing help to college and university students.
All types of essays that are given on several subjects are easily completed by the experts due to a long experience in the field. The complete research is done on the topic before writing the essay so that quality does not get hampered. Very reasonable cost is taken in return for the best essay writing services by the professionals.
The essays are written on time before deadlines and hundred percent plagiarisms free. Graduates can also seek other types of essay help like critical essay writing help , process essay help, and argumentative essay help from the same website.
Explore More Relevant Posts
- Public Speaking Speech Topics
- Process Analysis – Definition, Topics, Introduction & Conclusion
- Literature Review On Depression
- Gender in Leadership & Management – Literature Review
- University Admission Essay Topics
- Senior Capstone Project Ideas High School
- Nursing Capstone Project Ideas
- Argumentative Essay Topics About Animals
- Environment Essay Topics
- Multicultural Society – Argumentative Essay Ideas & Topics
- Causal Analysis Essay Topics
- Biology Essay Topics
- One Word Definition Essay Topics
- World Peace Essay Title
- Business Management Essay Topics
- Art History Essay Topics
- Immigration Essay Topics
- Ethics Essay Topics for USA Students
- Health Essay Topics 2021 for College Students
- Sports Essay Topics 2021 for US College Students
- Critical Thinking Essay Topics
- 5 Paragraph Essay Topics Ideas
- Controversial Essay Topics
- Childcare Descriptive Essay Topics
- Funny Persuasive Speech
- Persuasive Health Essay Topics
- Persuasive Speech Essay Topics Ideas
- Argumentative Essay Topics
- Art History Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
- Civil War Essay Topics
- Definition Argumentative Essay Topics
- Descriptive Essay Topics
- English Essay Topics
- History Essay Topics
- Philosophical Essay Topics
- Psychology Essay Topics
- Scholarship Essay Topics
- Sociology Essay Topics
- Thematic History Essay Topics
- Top Narrative Essay Topics For Students
Get Free Assignment Quote
Enter Discount Code If You Have, Else Leave Blank
We are available: Mon-Fri 9am-7pm CEST Sat 10-5pm CEST Sun 12-5pm CEST
- Talk with an advisor
100 IB Extended Essay Topic Ideas!
One of the biggest keys to the Extended Essay is choosing which subject you want to write your work in and developing that crucial research question. Read on to find inspiration for blog topics across a wide range of subjects.
Extended Essay: The Love/Hate aspect of the IB
Coming up with that idea and research question can be the toughest part of the entire process. Writing 4,000 words about something you are interested in is a big ask and it often feels impossible to narrow down your thoughts.
How to Begin Your IB Extended Essay
To make everything super clear, here are 100 Extended Essay Topics for you to draw inspiration from! Use these as a springboard to create your own research question !
Get Support from a Top Tutor Today
At Lanterna, we have over 300 tutors who smashed their Extended Essay. They know exactly how to get an A in your EE and can give you tips and tricks on how you can do the same. What are you waiting for? Get your own tutor today!
Get Your Tutor Today
10 steps to writing an extended essay.
Before we look at specific topics for your essay, let's recap the 10-steps you'll need to follow to complete your extended essay.
1. Define the Topic and Draft the Research Question
2. create a timeline, 3. identify and gather sources, 4. set deadlines, 5. plan the structure according to the total word count, 6. evaluate, 7. independent research, 8. write the extended essay draft, 10. present.
By following the steps above, you should be able to produce a logical and coherent rationale to follow when writing the extended essay for your IB diploma programme.
The Ultimate IB Extended Essay Guide
By starting with a solid research question, you'll be able to put an extended essay of global significance together, from the research and writing process all the way through to your final submission with a favourable extended essay grade.
Below, we're sharing 10 topics across 10 subjects to inspire your next IB extended essay.
1. How the change of habitat affects an X organism?
2. How does climate affect the growth of X plant?
3. Can photosynthesis take place without sunlight?
4. What is the effect of age and gender on the photoreceptor cells in the human retina?
5. How is climate change impacting the appearance of coral reefs?
6. An evaluation of how antioxidants work in our bodies?
7. Does hand sanitizer, hand soap or antibacterial wipes have the greatest ability to inhibit the growth of E. Coli?
8. To what extent do live cultures in yogurts/milk/other dairy products reduce the concentration of lactose present over the course of a 2 hour incubation period at x°C?
9. What is the relationship between population density between X and population size of X?
10. What is the relationship between indoleacetic acid, a growth hormone, and the growth of X (a crop)?
11. How does human influence impact an aquatic ecosystem?
12. How can one organize a pollution check along a X canal in X?
13. What is the effect of the increased ecological footprint in the Amazon ?
14. What are the forest and woodland restoration in Siberia, Russia and which one is most effective?
15. How does human interference cause ecological imbalances in an X city/country/continent?
16. What is the impact of urban development on the bee population in X city?
17. What are the differences in the conversation efforts in Yosemite National Park (California, USA) and the Lake District National Park (UK)?
18. To what extent have healthcare policies in X country influenced their human population curve?
19. How have changes in environmental systems influenced the value system of X country?
20. How has X landfill site affected the surrounding terrestrial ecosystem?
21. What is the profitability of airline companies ?
22. How does unemployment affect the market?
23. Why did X recession occur?
24. How did the financial Policy affect the economy in X?
25. How effective are government policies in reducing overconsumption of alcohol (specifically hard liquor)?
26. To what extent are public buses and subways substitute goods in a country?
27. How did the tax reform in country x affect its growth and development? (many countries to choose from)
28. To what extent was weak government policy responsible for the Latin American financial crisis of 1997?
29. How effective is the Big Mac Index in measuring purchasing power parity?
30. To what extent would the UK suffer from leaving the European Customs Union if Brexit happens?
31. Is there an association between viewing violence on television and the display of violent acts?
32. What motivational climate should a coach employ in order to achieve optimal performance in athletes?
33. How does X hormone affect human behavior ?
34. Compare theories explaining altruism in human behaviour
35. Discuss short-term and long-term consequences of exposure to violence
36. Why do relationships change or end?
37. Discuss how social variables (poverty, parenting, educational environment) may the affect cognitive environment.
38. To what extent do mirror neurons play a role in empathy? (2014)
39. To what extent does Mindfulness help people cope with General Anxiety Disorder (GAD)?
40. To what extent is drug therapy effective in the treatment of bipolar disorder?
41. Does the British Parliamentary reforms act of 1832 deserve its title as the great reform act?
42. To what extent are there similarities in Hitler and Mussolini’s Rise to Power?
43. To what extent did Mao’s tackle the problems which he faced?
44. Was Tsar Alexander II of Russia reforms a success or failure?
45. To what extent was the bombing of Dresden in 1945 justifiable?
46. To what extent can Sweden be considered neutral during WWII ?
47. The impact of structural economic weakness on the collapse of the Soviet Union.
48. How were women treated differently in 1920s and 1950s Great Britain?
49. Why did Israel win the Six Day War of 1967?
50. What role did economics play in the unification of Germany from 1834 to 1871?
51. What are the Compare and Contrast Jane Austen Books?
52. How does Joseph Conrad’s portray Racism in A Heart of Darkness?
53. How does Arthur Miller’s Death of a Salesman critique today’s capitalist society? The American Dream?
54. To what extent does Chris McCandless in Jon Krakauer’s Into the Wild escape familial influence?
55. What are the similarities and differences between J.K. Rowling’s characterization of Severus Snape in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?
56. How does Yaa Gyasi use structure in her novel Homegoing to portray the evolution of time?
57. What is the impact of the social context on Holden Caufield and Huckleberry Finn?
58. How does Sylvia Path’s use of Inanimate objects in Bell Jar?
59. How is the empowerment of Feminine portrayed in the Lord of the Rings?
60. Compare the political rhetoric as used in the inaugural addresses of George W. Bush, Barack Obama, and Donald Trump.
61. The design, construction and calibration of an apparatus for measuring lipid concentration in milk.
62. What is the effect of a change in the optimal lift on the horizontal gliding distance of an aircraft?
63. How does the sugar concentration affect the refractive index of water?
64. How does temperature affect the viscosity of X juice/soda?
65. Is the relationship between temperature and conductivity and insulators and conductors?
66. What is the Oberth Effect?
67. What is the temperature dependence of work performed on an AA battery?
68. How can the rotational frequency of a fan driven by a flame measure distance?
69. Do wine bottles of different shapes behave as Helmholtz resonators?
70. How does the diameter of a wheel affect stability in different weather conditions?
71. What factors influence the location of industries in country/city X?
72. An investigation into the significance of preserving the quality of water in a continent/country/city?
73. An investigation into the degree to which City X can be considered a Sustainable City/Community.
74. To what extent is Biodiversity being managed successfully in city X?
75. To what extent does the education and employment of women affect Country x’s fertility rate?
76. To what extent do gender, educational attainment, and working parameters influence obesity risk?
77. To what extent has urban development affected human thermal comfort levels in Country/city x (a country/city that has developed in a rapid rate over the past decades)?
78. To what extent is the Company x corporate waste management program effective, demonstrating environmental sustainability?
79. To what extent is biodiversity being managed successfully at National Park X?
80. What types of urban design encourage high rates of vandalism in X neighbourhoods?
81. The kinetics of Enzymatic Reactions.
82. How do Iron Intake Diets differ in X country?
83. What are the different factors that affect the iodine values in cooking oils?
84. What is the effect of standing time and temperate on the acid content in X juice or soda?
85. Can caffeine in tea or coffee be reduced?
86. What is the effect of temperature on the souring of milk?
87. What are the sources of error in calorimetry?
88. Does brushing your teeth affect the pH in your mouth after eating?
89. How does changing the concentration of the reagents affect the formation and spacing between Liesehang rings in the reaction between X chloride and X when conducted in a test tube?
90. What effect does the coating of aspirin tablets have on the hydrolysis of aspirin?
Social and Cultural Anthropology
91. How clothing relates to the cultural anthropology of X culture.
92. The extent to which social media networks affect different societies.
93. The relationship between ritual, myths and faith in an X society.
94. The history of rituals in X culture.
95. How different marriage rituals inform the cultural anthropology of X culture.
96. Climate change and its impact on the evolution of different creatures on the planet.
97. Understanding the social and cultural anthropology of the supernatural in X culture.
98. An analysis of body modification in relation to social and cultural anthropology.
100. Chaste systems and social ranks in societies.
There are so many class subjects that can form the basis of your extended essay, including these popular six subjects:
- Information technology
- Computer science
- Health science
- World studies
- Visual arts
- Business management
Extended essays are a great way to improve your writing skills in academic writing. Essays of a high standard that demonstrate critical thinking and in depth analysis can be submitted to academic journals. These have the potential to reach the global society.
Start Writing Your Extended Essay Topic
We hope this gave you some great inspiration for the variation of topics available for your Extended Essay . The research question you select is what will carry you through the entire process, so be sure to choose wisely!
Remember, if you are looking for more help with your Extended Essay, make sure to check out our guide which will tell you exactly how to plan, structure, research and write your Extended Essay!
Grab Free Extended Essay Resources!
No matter the subject groups in your diploma program, we're here to help all of our IB students. Whether you're writing about social and cultural anthropology, business management, design technology, or scientific methods for your IB diploma, Lanterna has you covered.
20 ib physics ia topic ideas.
Choosing where to start with an IA can be the hardest part, and this is definitely true for the Physics IA. We know that our topic has to be somewhat related to the syllabus, but where should we focus? Thankfully, we’ve asked some of our favourite IB graduates for some of the ideas they pursued! […]
25 History IA Topic Ideas!
Are you about to start your History internal assessment? We know the struggle. One of the most difficult parts about the task is finding a good History IA topic because it feels like you can just write about anything. The IB breaks it down into 7 main different types of topics that you can choose, […]
Top 4 Essentials for Studying Chemistry
Each subject in the IB has its own unique set of requirements and challenges. As a result, how you study will be different for each subject. Here we will take you through the essentials for studying Chemistry in the IB. The Syllabus The syllabus is an absolutely essential part of studying for any […]
or log in using social media
Reset your password
Register for this site.
Registration confirmation will be emailed to you.
or sign up using social media
Talk to an advisor
Before we match you with one of our trusted tutors, we want to know a little bit about you so we can ensure the best possible support.
Don't have an account
Sign up to Lanterna
Already have an account? Sign in
By siging up, I agree to Lanterna’s terms of service .
Sign in to Lanterna
Don't have an account? Sign up
Lost your password? Click here to reset it .
Welcome to Lanterna!
Nice to see you here. We look forward to joining the Lanterna and being part of your success.
Ready to start learning?
Login to view our free resources.
- Essay Writers
- How It Works
- Prices & Discounts
25 Good Extended Essay Topics for IB
Table of contents
Extended essays in the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme are dreaded by most students because they are viewed as extensive work that requires a lot of effort to complete.
Order Now: 100% Original, High-Quality IB Extended Essay
In this article, we'll discuss the tried-and-true tips for finding good extended essay topics that can help speed up your process and make writing more enjoyable.
But first, let's circle back to what an IB extended essay is.
What is an IB Extended Essay
An extended essay (EE) is an independent essay in the form of a 4,000-word mini-thesis that IB students need to write to complete the Diploma Programme.
When writing an extended essay, you'll be under the supervision of a mentor or advisor. The process of writing an extended essay starts by formulating a research question as a topic, which will then be approved by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO).
How is the Extended Essay Scored
While you'll be under the supervision of a teacher from your school, all IB extended essays are scored externally by examiners appointed directly by the IBO. The score range for an IB extended essay is from 0 to 34.
But as students, you'll only see the typical letter grades:
- A – excellent
- C – satisfactory
- D – mediocre
- E – elementary
An IB extended essay is one of two parts of the Diploma Programme core (DP core), along with the theory of knowledge (TOK) essay and Creativity, activity, service (CAS). Collectively, your extended and TOK essay can give you up to 3 additional points toward your overall diploma score.
Your diploma score is made up of your score from each subject – and you'll need at least a 24 score to pass. So, the three additional points from your extended and TOK essay could really save your degree, should you fall short of meeting the minimum passing score.
That said, you should pay more attention to the topic you choose for your essay so that you can get the most score from it.
How to Choose a Topic for your IB Extended Essay
While you can choose whatever topic you like as your IB extended essay, you shouldn't randomly come up with research questions that you can't possibly answer in less than 4,000 words.
To ensure that your essay can go swimmingly, here are several tips on choosing good extended essay topics:
1. Choose a subject in your scope of study
It's important that you also find a topic that falls somewhere in the six subjects of study you picked when you enrolled in IB. You should consider choosing a topic that is covered by a higher level (HL) subject because you might have already learned about it in classes – which obviously can speed up your research and writing process.
If you choose a topic that's not within your scope of the study, you might have to read up on dozens of additional resources before you can gather enough information to write your essay.
Despite being given up to 10 months to work on an extended essay, you should avoid risks by taking on a topic that you have minimum knowledge of.
Students are encouraged to choose Extended Essay topics from one of the following subjects:
- Literature and Performance
- Studies in Language and Literature
2. keep considerable time aside for topic brainstorming.
Given the freedom and range of possible topics you're given, it's a good idea to set aside some time of your day for topic brainstorming. Ideally, you should use this time to chat with your advisor since they're also responsible for ensuring you have a well-formulated research question.
But if your advisor isn't really available – or you have zero ideas about what you want to write about – you can allocate some time to brainstorm with your peers or read through essay libraries to get that 'aha' moment.
Remember to always jot down any ideas you have when you're out and about in your notebook or note-taking apps on your phone.
Here’s a video by Worldwide Speak on brainstorming topic ideas that might be helpful
3. Choose a topic of interest
It's really important that you choose a topic you genuinely have an interest in. Interest and enthusiasm are essential because these are what will push you to put in that extra effort to make your essay really shine.
If you're not interested enough in your topic, forget about going the extra mile and making an essay that shines – doing the bare minimum might feel draining enough. The trick is to find a topic you'd be willing to spend your time on, even if you didn't have to write an essay about it.
It might be challenging to find such a topic – that's why you must actively make time to do so. But once you do find it, you'll get away from one of the most common problems in essay writing: procrastination. Once you find the topic that piques your interest, extended essay writing might feel like creative writing .
4. Make sure it is in your scope of study
If you choose a topic that's not within your scope of the study, you might have to read up on dozens of additional resources before you can gather enough information to write your essay. Despite being given up to 10 months to work on an extended essay, you should avoid risks by taking on a topic that you have minimum knowledge of.
5. Avoid topics that are too broad or narrow
The challenge with writing an essay is that you have to find a topic that no one has written about before. But if you choose a topic that's too narrow, you'll have difficulty finding resources and previous research to use as references.
However, picking a topic that's too general or broad also comes with a challenge: you'll have too many resources to read through. As a consequence, you won't be able to decide which information to include in your extended essay.
A good IB extended essay topic should have the right mix between resource availability and uniqueness.
Instead of writing an essay on "What are the side effects of global warming?" – which is too broad of a subject – you can narrow it down to something like "What are the side effects of global warming on the farming industry in Nevada?".
The second example above is narrower, but you won't have difficulty finding references for the effects of global warming and the farming industry in Nevada.
6. Do background research
Don't waste a good IB extended essay topic by delivering sub-par writing and arguments. Before you start writing away your thoughts and analysis on the subject, make sure you read up on references and resources.
Doing background research helps you to determine an appropriate scope of your research. Reading up on previous research might help you find a subject that fits in the broader discussion around a topic.
Background research can also help you see the value of your essay and how its result may impact others who are interested in the same field of study as you. Through background research, you'll also be exposed to the previous works of experts, their points of view, and how your essay will complement them.
25 Good Extended Essay Topics for your Inspiration
Here’s a list of topics for some key IB subjects.
- To what extent are there stylistic similarities between Impressionist and Renaissance Art?
- An investigation into the lasting influence of traditional African architecture on Modernism.
- How has the controversial nature of street music in Egypt provided a platform for popular expression?
- To what extent should Ai Weiwei’s destruction of art be perceived as a form of preservation?
- An investigation into Pablo Picasso’s Guernica and how this artwork increased discourse and influenced changes in national policy.
- How does Shakespeare examine the gift and curse of revenge in Hamlet?
- Compare and contrast the representation of women in J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series and J.R. R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings.
- An investigation into Liberty and Censorship in George Orwell’s 1984.
- To what extent is postmodernity crystallized in the works of Roland Barthes?
- An examination of gender roles in Buchi Emecheta’s The Bride Price.
- Racism and historical blindness: The significance of comfort women in the lead up to the Second World War.
- To what extent has historical revisionism affected the perception of pre- and post-colonial Africa in the modern world?
- To what extent did the First Sino-Japanese War contribute to the emergence of Japan as a major world power?
- An investigation into the inequality and poverty witnessed in the transition economies of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union in the 1990s.
- Industrial expansion in post-Civil War America.
- To what extent did the United States invasion of Iraq influence its credibility in the global environment?
- How have the BRIC countries triggered the recent transformation of international politics in the twenty-first century?
- Inflation and trade interruptions: The Implication of the War on Ukraine on the European economy.
- How improved governance and stability has brought about an investment evolution in Sub-Saharan Africa?
- The lasting impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on global governance and cooperation between different world powers.
- How have the education and employment of women affected economic expansion in Latin America?
- An examination of Singapore’s slow-growing local workforce and the increased access to foreign labor.
- To what extent has extreme poverty, hunger, and violence-affected migration patterns in Sub-Saharan Africa?
- Comparative study of the living conditions of the cities of Geneva and Cape Town and the role played by public services.
- The impact of water resources preservation on the ecological ecosystem of the Yellow River in China.
Finding good extended essay topics is not as difficult as you might think – but it's not a walk in the park either. Do your background research and dedicate some time to brainstorm, discuss, and mull over your ideas.
You shouldn't pick topics that others think are valuable and interesting . After all, you will be the one writing the essay, not them. So, it's best to go with topics that you're genuinely interested in studying further.
But we agree choosing a topic can get complicated. If you’re stuck, write to us at Writers Per Hour, and our expert IB writers can write a solid extended essay that will take your final IB grade to the next level or help you brainstorm topic ideas.
Last edit at Mar 03 2023
Stefani is a professional writer and blogger at Writers Per Hour . She primarily contributes articles about careers, leadership, business, and writing. Her educational background in family science and journalism has given her a broad base from which to approach many topics. She especially enjoys preparing resumes for individuals who are changing careers.
What does your service do?
We write original and plagiarism-free papers from scratch. Please take a look at how it works.
Do you have free essay samples?
Yes, we have free essay samples, and you can check them out here.
How much does it cost?
The price depends on several factors you can check our prices and discounts.
How to order my essay?
To start your order, please go here and fill out the form online.
Share this article
Sign up and get 20% off on a custom paper
By entering your email above you agree to receive our periodical marketing emails. We do not sell or share your personal information.
Thanks for the subscription!
You’ve just made a terrific decision. Please make sure to check your inbox for the discount code.
- Paper Editing
- IB ToK Essay
- Pay to Write My Paper
- Write My Thesis
- Buy College Paper
- Analysis Papers
- Biology Papers
- Ph.D Papers
- IB Internal Assessment
- Personal Statement
- Write My Speech
- Research Proposal
- Write Me Assignment
- Write my Book Report
- Do My Powerpoint
- Do My Research Paper
- Write my Discussion Post
- Write My Annotated Bibliography
- Argumentative essay writers
- Dissertation Writers
- Pay to Do Term Paper
- Extended essay writers
- Fast essay writers
- Write My Literature Review
- Write My Essay
- Homework Writers
- Business Plan Writers
- Creative Writers
- MBA writers
- How it works
The Complete Extended Essay Guide | 100 Topics & Examples
Published by Ellie Cross at November 3rd, 2021 , Revised On January 26, 2023
One of the International Baccalaureate (IB) programme’s mandatory requirements is to produce a 4,000 words long extended essay, which should be submitted as an independent piece of research.
All IB students must complete the extended essay assignment regardless of the subjects they are taking because, together with CAS and TOK, it is a core module of the IB programme.
An extended essay allows students to choose any suitable topic of their choice and demonstrate their knowledge and capability beyond what they learn in the classroom. This assignment sets the stage for students to hone their research and writing skills for Bachelor’s and Master’s level coursework.
Students write an extended essay in the second term of the IB program’s first year. All students are expected to work closely with their supervisor to finalise the essay topic and the research questions.
The project involves submitting one extended essay draft to get the supervisor’s feedback before submitting the second and final version. A short viva voce must be included at the end of the essay.
Extended Essay Facts
- The length of the essay should not be more than 4,000 words.
- The project is expected to be completed over a period of one year.
- Significance of the extended essay
- In 2019 – approximately 200,000 students took the IB Programme exam
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme is for students in the age group of 16 to 19 years.
Significance of Extended Essay
So how significantly does the extended essay assignment contribute towards the overall grade?
The extended essay is of critical importance for the following reasons:
- It allows students to polish their skills for undergraduate and Masters’s level essay assignments.
- They can independently explore the topic of their interest, which relates to one of the six modules of the IB Programme.
- Students learn to conduct desk-based research to find appropriate and manageable topics.
- They learn the basics of how to formulate research questions
- They learn to develop an argument.
- Successful completion of this assignment enhances their ability to analyse and assess information critically.
If you choose to undertake the extended essay in world studies, you will be required to conduct extensive interdisciplinary research on an issue of global significance.
Extended Essay Assessment Criteria
Extended essays are marked on a scale from 0 to 34 by external examines chosen by the IB itself. The score you will achieve in the assignment will relate to one of the following bands:
- A – work of an excellent standard.
- B- work of a good standard.
- C – work of a satisfactory standard.
- D- work of a mediocre standard.
- E- work of an elementary standard.
Please click here to check how your grade in the extended essay assignment affects the overall diploma score. Here is the breakdown of EE scores (from the May 2019 bulletin)
How to Select a Topic for the Extended Essay?
Selecting an enjoyable and manageable topic for the extended essay is perhaps the most exciting yet challenging part of the whole process. In a nutshell, you will be required to research a topic in one of the six subjects you are undertaking for the IB Programme. The selection criteria are based on the analysis of an issue of global significance in a specific context. For example, you can investigate technological, environmental, medical, or cultural trends from the local perspective. Here are some tips for choosing the best extended essay topic:
- It should neither be too broad nor too narrow.
- Choose a topic you are passionate about.
- Are there any global trends you are curious to explore and understand?
Choosing the topic can often be overwhelming. Think about the issues you enjoy the most, and more specifically, why you want to learn about them. This will help you develop many ideas that you can review, compare, and pick from. Note: The IBO approves the proposed topic.
Fear of failing the essay? Get help from an expert!
We make sure our essays are:
- Well formulated
- Timely delivered
- 100% plagiarism-free
- 100% confidential
How to Formulate Research Questions for the Extended Essay?
Once the topic has been approved, you can proceed to formulate the research questions (s). A poorly planned research question can cause complications at a later stage, so make sure to take your time to develop a question that would genuinely add value to the existing literature.
The answer to the formulated research question should not be a simple yes or no. It should instead provide valuable information in a larger context. The research question should be focused and relevant to the title. If the research question includes a hypothesis, then there is no obligation on your part to provide it right or wrong. Your job is to test the hypothesis and reveal the facts only.
The question should not necessarily start with words like “Is”, “Will”, “Should”, “Why”, “How”, or “Does”. Merely asserting that “yes, this is correct”, or “no, this is not correct” is inappropriate.
The highest-scoring essays usually address a research question that starts with broader phrases such as, “An investigation of”, “Exploring the idea”, “An analysis of”, “To what extent”, “A review of”, or “Examining the role”. Or it could simply be a hypothesis statement that you aim to test.
If you set out to answer a research question without contemplating the resources required to address it, then you are making a fatal mistake. Whether the essay research is primary or secondary, we cannot understate the importance of a well-thought-out plan to gather relevant supporting academic sources.
However, in most cases, it is only possible to base your essay on secondary data because conducting primary research can involve time and money. But make sure to state your reasons for choosing one research method over another.
Finally, if you cannot find a sufficient number of sources for your research question, you can alter it with your supervisor’s help.
Also read: Mental health essay topics
Choosing the Supervisor
Here are some suggestions on how to choose an advisor
- If you are unsure about who you would like to work with, create a list of potential advisors.
- The supervisor should be familiar with your topic.
- Pick an advisor who would get the best out of you.
- An advisor who is patient with you would not mind reviewing several drafts of your essay and providing feedback.
- It would be best if you were comfortable discussing ideas with them.
- The supervisor should know you well personally because their assessment will contribute towards your final EE score. A teacher who does not know you well may not assess you fairly.
- Simply having your favourite teacher as an advisor may not be a good idea because they may not be familiar with the topic.
- Check whether your school requires the advisor to sign a consent form and make the necessary arrangements.
Structure of an Extended Essay
The extended essay follows the standard essay structure , including the introduction , main body , and conclusion. However, always check with your supervisor about the structure you must follow to avoid complications later.
Your supervisor will provide the necessary guidance and advice to support you throughout the research and writing process.
The project includes up to three reflection rounds with the assigned supervisor, with the final round consisting of an interview, also known as the viva voce.
The extended essay and the reflection meetings provide a much-needed impetus, especially to those required to pass an interview assessment for a place at university and before acceptance for employment.
There are six required components of an extended essay structure:
The title page is where you state the research question you set out to address, the subject you are studying, your school name, your name, total word count of the essay, and category (for language essays).
This is where you must list the heading and the subheadings with corresponding page numbers. All pages should be numbered using the Microsoft page numbering feature.
The extended essay’s introduction should provide a brief background to the research question, thesis statement , and the central argument presented in the essay.
This is where you present your arguments, evaluation, comparison, discussion, and analysis of the subject matter. This section’s structure varies according to the subject of the essay, but the supporting evidence should accompany every piece of information.
The conclusion section should relate to the thesis statement, the overall scope of the research, and the line of argument taken. It should also reflect any open questions, research limitations, and unexplained problems.
References and Bibliography
A list of academic sources used is provided in the required citation style at the end of the essay. The citation style you need to follow varies subject to subject, but make sure you consistently use it throughout the essay.
The deadline you Need to Meet
Your school will let you know the deadline for the extended essay assignment. Each school has a different official IB deadline. You will have a year to complete the essay, but unfortunately, most students leave their essay to the last week before the deadline.
Careful planning can help you complete the task promptly and avoid a last-minute crunch. Many students make the fatal mistake of giving too much time to research and reading and with very little time to write an essay .
Most schools set their deadlines for different project milestones to help students stay on schedule. Keep in regular contact with your advisor and management to ensure each section is completed in due time.
The viva voce Interview
The viva voice interview allows students to demonstrate the significance of the research results. More specifically, students can provide details of the challenges and the successes of their research during the interview.
For example, you could tell your supervisor about the problem you faced during the data collection process, the strategies you used to overcome them, and how the exercise helped improve your writing skills.
Free Extended Essay Topics
Here are some amazing topic ideas in various subjects that you can consider for your extended essay.
Biology Extended Essay Topics
- Investigate the relationship between indole acetic acid, a growth hormone, and the growth of X (a crop).
- To examine the relationship between the population size of X and population density between X.
- How significantly do live cultures in dairy products such as milk, yoghurt, and cheese reduce the concentration of lactose present for a 2 hour incubation period at x °C?
- Discuss the relationship between the production process of plants and the climate.
- To examine the possibility of manufacturing flowers.
- An investigation into the idea of planting healing a disease.
- The impact of various drugs on the functioning of the human brain
- Does the change of habitat affect the life of an organism?
- Investigate the process of storing cow’s milk safely.
- The relationship between the photoreceptor cells in the human retina and “the age and gender”.
- Examining the growth of an X plant when the climate changes
- Neadderthalian DNA in people who have European ancestors
Psychology Extended Essay Topics
Discuss the relationship between violent acts and viewing the violence shown on social media platforms.
- Can drug therapy heal bipolar disorder?
- Can General Anxiety Disorder be healed through meditation?
- Examining the relationship between cognitive environment and social variables such as educational setting, poverty, culture, parenting, and more
- How do our relationships evolve? Why causes a relationship to an end?
- Investigate the effects of domestic violence on the human brain.
- Discuss the causes of depression from a psychological perspective.
- Different between female and male schizophrenia.
- The relationship between General Anxiety Disorder and stress
- The relationship between stress and bulimia medical condition
- The relationship between obesity and our social media-oriented lifestyle
- What causes suicide? How do suicidal behaviours develop over time?
English Extended Essay Topics
- The importance of learning English literature in the modern world
- Examine the importance of the literary function of the English language.
- Explore the relationship between politics and social Darwinism.
- Sexual and ethnic identity in the twenty-first century
- The impact of the English language on any other language of your choice
- Comparing English learning bend with other languages
- The distinct patterns of the United States English phonetics.
- Identifying the use of the Sanskrit language in English
- Tracing the differences between British English and American English in a systematic way
- Identify the English phrases and words embraced by other Hindi and Urdu languages during the British Raj
- The influence of the French language on the evolution of the English language.
Literature Extended Essay Topics
- Examine the significance of different Noble prize winners in the literature on the stylistic evolution.
- An analysis of the controversy surrounding Bob Dylan’s Noble prize award
- The Role of Emile Zola’s “J’accuse” in the Dreyfus Affair.
- Analysing Jane Austen
- Jame’s Baldwin’s illustration of Racism.
- The evolution of an ideal woman in English literature
- The traits of the Islamic religious text
- Emma by Jane Austen and the importance of Dance
- An investigation of Severus Snape’s character in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and Harry Potter and the Chambers of Secret. What are the similarities and differences between J.K Rowling’s characterization of Severus in the two novels?
- The evolution of the character of Bilbo Baggins from Lord of the Rings to the Hobbit Sequel
Economics extended essay topics
- The impact of Covid-19 on the global airline industry
- How Covid-19 has forced car manufacturers around the work to redesign its economic model
- The growing importance of the role of India in the world economy
- China’s plans to take over the world economy by 2050 – How valid is this statement?
- The role of the road infrastructure in the development of a growing country such as Afghanistan
- The relationship between an increase in exports and empowerment of the local farmers in an agricultural country like India
- Tax handling in a world dominated by multinationals.
- The impact of an ageing population on Japan’s economy
- Offshore tax havens and the corruption of politicians. How can this trend be stopped?
- The impact of Brexit on the UK’s economy. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages from the UK’s perspective.
Movie and Film Extended Essay Topics
- The elements of social protest in Charlie Chaplin’s films
- How modern have computer capabilities revolutionized conventional cinematography?
- Avoiding the “soap opera” effect – why movies stay at 24 frames per second (including future predictions)
- Moving camera – revolutionary ideas (for example, as depicted in the Matrix and the Tenet)
- Correlation between IMDB marks and differing nationwide and film that is international
- Metamorphosis of masculinity in our contemporary world as depicted in battle club
- Kinds of timeline manipulation approach to paper writing service cinematography
- Massively distorted scientist or systematic technique depiction in Sci-Fi films
History Extended Essay Topics
- The rise of the Ottoman Empire – An analysis of the role of King Salman-II
- How significant was the battle of Vienna in European history?
- The implications of the British Raj on the Indian Subcontinent
- Discuss the reasons that caused the Arabs to lose in six days against resurging Israel?
- The treatment of women in India of the 1950s vs India of 2000s
- The history behind the animosity between two nuclear-armed neighbours – India and Pakistan
- An investigation of the events led to Hitler’s rise to power in Germany.
- The simultaneous invasion of Poland by the USSR and Nazi Germany in the second world war
- An examination of the pearl harbour attack from the Japanese perspective
- What caused the abnormal expansion of the Islamic empire between the 8 th century and the 10 th
Geography Extended Essay Topics
- The China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) significance for Chinese economic domination
- An analysis of the current climate change trends and their impact on our oceans
- Discuss and evaluate the various strategies used to prevent power outages caused by solar storms.
- India’s improving fertility rate’s relationship with women empowerment and improved women education environment
- To what extent is biodiversity being managed in Regent’s Park in London.
- The relationship between obesity risk and parameters such as educational environment, gender, genes, and social settings
- Examine the affectivity of the environmental sustainability programme initiated by company X.
- Compare a country with no access to the sea with the one that has access to it.
- An analysis of the agricultural revolution impact on the world’s environment
- Does geography influence the social relationships between people?
Mathematics and Physics Extended Essay Topics
- General functions of the theory of partitions
- General relativity and cosmology
- Symmetries of plane tessellations
- Egyptian forces in arithmetic
- A review of the various methodological approaches employed by academic researchers
- Why do planets move the way they do? What causes their circular motion?
- An investigation into the string theory
- How quantum physics has the potential to change the rules of science?
- The basics of dynamics – forces and motion
- Discuss the different types of forces, including magnetic force, quantum force, and physical
- The quantum movement of particles
- How much of an influence does the quantum slit experiment have on traditional Newtonian physics?
- The nature and behaviour of light
- The cosmic patterns of stars and planets
- Gravitational waves – generation, propagation rules, detection on Earth?
- Is there scientific proof of the existence of another intelligent species in the universe like humans?
You May Also Like
As a political sciences student, you write countless research papers, projects, essays, and assignments. If you are unsure how to begin your political essay and looking for original and creative political essay topics and ideas, you have landed on the perfect page.
Argumentative essays are quite prevalent in university or college settings, particularly in the disciplines like General English, Gender studies, Political History of Science, Psychology, Social Science or History.
Have you ever been asked to write a sports essay? Are you looking for the best sports essay topics? Sport is a broad field with a variety of topics to cover.
Ready to place an order?
Useful links, learning resources.
- How It Works
- TTS Libguides
- Tanglin LibGuides
- Senior Library
IB Extended Essay (EE)
- Extended Essay Main Page
- Business & Management
- Computer Science
- Environmental Systems & Societies (ESS)
- Human Rights
- Information Technology in a Global Society (ITGS)
- Peace and Conflict Studies
- Social and Cultural Anthropology
- Visual Arts
- World Religions
- World Studies
Find a password
Excellent extended essay - english, find example excellent essays, click on the subjects to browse the list of excellent extended essays..
- << Previous: Economics
- Next: Environmental Systems & Societies (ESS) >>
- Last Updated: Oct 18, 2022 9:00 AM
- URL: https://libguides.tts.edu.sg/EE
100+ IB extended essay topic ideas for your ease
June 20th, 2022
The International Baccalaureate is an educational foundation that has reached all over the world. It was founded in the year 1968, and ever since, it offers several different educational programs to 1.4 billion IB students all over the world. One of the very important requirements of an IB diploma is the extended essay. This really helps bring up the total score. And one problem students face here is gathering ideas for their IB extended essay. Here is some guiding information that can help with extended essay topics.
⏭ ORDER CUSTOM EXTENDED ESSAY ⏮
The first and the most important thing is to come up with an idea for it. When people come up with the right idea for it, they can work hard and make their way through this. The same with IA and EE – a good extended essay can only be written when the right topic is selected. If you do not select the right topic you want to focus on, the chances of failing your extended essay are way higher.
Once the topic is selected, further information can be gathered on it. However, the prompt that you are working o n should be one that you are very well aware of. Not just that, but you should also be extremely interested in the topic. Only then can you work very well on this topic.
IB Extended Essay Layout
There are mainly six elements in the essay layout. The first part is the title page. Here, the research question is written, along with the subject and the category. The total word count needs to also be mentioned here. The next part is the content page. This is the one that is right at the beginning. It has all the headings along with the page numbers as well.
Then, next comes the introduction. Here, the scope and focus of the research is written. Alongside that, the sources that are used and the main argument that is going to be presented is also written. Next comes the main part of the essay, which is the body of the essay. This is the part where the research and the analysis s done. The evaluation also comes here, where the student is supposed to give his own viewpoint here. The argument should be developed in a coherent fashion here. Everything should be in the right order as well here.
Meanwhile, if you are interested in writing IB extended essay, please check the article that describes in detail how long it takes to write an IB EE . And never forget that an extended essay should be up to 4000 words , around 14-15 pages of content.
After this is done, the conclusion part comes. Here, the argument is summarized. Not just that, but any limitations of the research and also any unsolved issues are highlighted here. Towards the end comes the bibliography of the essay. Once the student chooses the academic style of references, the references are written in the correct order.
Other sections that can be added in the essay include the methodology and the appendix. The appendix is where the extra material is written. The methodology is where the entire part of the essay that describes the way that information is gathered. According to the latest requirements , no abstract is needed.
IB Extended Essay Topics
Ready to get good EE topics? Here are a few ideas to work on, for all of those who are looking to get some inspiration for their IB extended essay topic.
Let’s begin with a few generic topic ideas that you can work on.
General EE topic ideas
- What role does culture play in shaping norms in society?
- How can we change the way we think and respond to different situations?
- How can we move from being victims of circumstance to fighters?
- What factors make great leaders?
- What is the role that leaders play in the modern day and age in shaping the world?
- What factors constitute good parenting?
- What factors affect the value of knowledge in society?
- How does knowledge make us better people?
- How does our thinking affect the way that we view others?
- What is the role that patriarchy plays in depriving women of their rights?
- What countries have the highest living standards currently and why?
- How can we make smooth progress in our careers?
- What is the key to effective relationships?
- What role does open communication play in our daily lives?
- How can we become more effective listeners?
- How can we motivate ourselves to work harder and do better?
- How can managers create synergy in work groups?
- What is the role of trust when it comes to team building?
- What is the science behind habit building?
- How does spirituality affect our relationship with ourselves?
Like we have mentioned previously with capstone project topics and ideas for comparison essays , here are a few specific examples of topics based on certain groups. I’ll be focusing on general IB groups of studies.
Group 1: Studies in Language and Literature Essay Topics
- What are the factors that affect specific political campaigns?
- How has the use of language been effective in feminist protests?
- How has media shaped the view of female beauty?
- How is American English different from British English?
- How are gender roles seen in the novel Macbeth?
- How are gender roles portrayed in the novel the Great Gatsby?
- How is Shakespeare’s style of writing different from others?
- How does William Wordsworth play with words?
- How much of the English language is borrowed from other languages?
- How has the portrayal of women in English literature evolved over time?
Group 2: Language acquisition, including classical languages Essay Topics
- How rich is Mandarin in meaning?
- What role does innovative technology play in the learning of new languages?
- How are new teaching methods being used in different stages of education?
- How should a modern foreign language essay work in high school?
- How can teaching styles differ when we talk about non native students?
- What can be done to make education more valuable for non native students?
- How can the classroom become more inclusive for non native students?
- What are the different teaching methods that can be used for foreign language classes?
- What are the modern means of teaching Mandarin at universities these days?
- How important is it to learn different foreign languages?
Group 3: Individuals and societies Essay Topics
- How has the role of women changed in society?
- How does mainstream society reflect patriarchy?
- What can women do for social mobility and why?
- How much of our sex affects our ability to achieve?
- What can be done to overcome inequality in society?
- What can be done to overcome corruption in society?
- How has criminality affected societies in the modern day and age?
- What are we as a society doing for sustainable development and how?
- How has bullying in schools become a normal culture?
- What measures can be taken to deal with corruption in society?
Check this article for those who are also interested in how to write an IB Environment System and Societies IA . Enjoy reading it, and now let’s get back to the article.
⏭ EXTENDED ESSAY WRITING HELP ⏮
Group 4: the sciences essay topics.
- Can the climate affect the growth of plant X?
- What effect does climate change have on the growth of plants?
- Do iron intake diets differ in different countries?
- How does brushing teeth affect the pH in the mouth?
- Can caffeine in coffee be reduced?
- Can caffeine in tea be reduced?
- What are the factors that affect iodine values in cooking oils?
- How does temperature affect the viscosity of Coke?
- What role do antioxidants play in our bodies?
- How does photosynthesis affect the climate?
Group 5: Mathematics Essay Topics
- What mathematical equations are applied in the navigation of stars?
- What role does geometry play in the navigation of stars?
- How are exponential functions used in physics?
- How are exponential functions used in geology?
- How are exponential functions used in anthropology?
- How are exponential functions used in demography?
- How is Pythagoras’s theorem applied in real world situations?
- How does the Pythagoras’s theorem help the construction world?
- How is the exponential function used in age and growth?
- How does Archimedes’ calculation of circular areas work?
Group 6: The Arts Essay Topics
- How is technology used for different types of art forms?
- What are the different artistic styles of modern art?
- What does Picasso’s style of art say about him?
- How do political cartoons reflect certain ideologies?
- What role does globalization play in contemporary art?
- How to analyze abstract paintings?
- Do paintings really speak volumes about the painter?
- How does modern art differ from traditional art?
- How does art reflect a person’s ideology?
- How is activism reflected in modern art?
Group 7: Interdisciplinary Essay Topics
- How can dead languages be revived again?
- What role does anthropology play in making us understand different languages?
- How has our society evolved over time to become more progressive?
- How deep rooted is masculinity in our society?
- What role do gender roles play in shaping society?
- How can we understand the science behind class differences?
- Is there a relationship between human language and animal language?
- How does bilingualism affect our understanding of things?
- How can we learn living languages?
- How can governments play a role in reducing the social burden in society?
Group 8: History Essay Topics
- How can historians work on their ways of getting more authentic data?
- Were Hitler’s ways of doing things highly effective?
- How did Germany get transformed during the time of Hitler?
- How can we check the reliability of historic information?
- What are the reasons for world dominance in modern history?
- What do old human settlements teach us about the ways that people lived earlier on in time?
- What kind of a ruler was Mao Zedong?
- How did the partition of the subcontinent happen?
- Why should we rely on more than one source for historic information?
- How can we tell if a historical source is biased?
These are a few topic ideas that you can choose from.
Choose your IB extended topic wisely
So, if you are in one of the certified IB schools , I wish you good luck with writing your IB EE. To write an effective extended essay , make sure that you are very passionate about the topic that you choose!
Oh, almost forgot – do not hesitate to contact our team, in case you need any sort of assistance from expert IB writers with it.
Vasy Kafidoff is the co-founder of the Writing Metier. Being in the education field for a very long time, his experience speaks volumes about his knowledge in the field. His aim is to make more people aware about new learning possibilities for children. You can find more information about Vasy on his personal blog .
22 ib sl math ia topic ideas that actually work.
If you are here because you are stuck with an idea for your IB Mathematics Standard Level (SL) essay topic, you have come to the right place. We understand that the IB Math is the toughest subject (no kidding, we feel you) and therefore, we are here to aid you as much as we can.
Best Biology Research Paper Topics | 44+ Custom Examples
As a branch of Science, Biology deals with living organisms' study and looks into their functions, structures, growth and evolution. Biology, as a subject, holds significant importance because of the topics it deals with. Having this said, it is important for one to always understand the topic they are fully aware of before writing a Biology research paper.
How Long Does it Take to Write an IB Extended Essay?
Many students studying International Baccalaureate are searching for an approximate time needed to write an IB extended essay. The IB extended essay needs to be of a maximum of 4000 words. Given that many words need to be completed, it goes without saying that there is a lot of research involved too. This is why this does take a sufficient amount of time as well.
How Many References are Enough for a 1500 Words Essay?
You know one of those things that take a drastic turn when you are done with schooling and enter the domains of university academics? Referencing your essays is one of these changes. Till the school level, we are to write essays without worrying about referencing. At the university level, things get serious because you are required to cite the information you are claiming in the article.
How to Make Your Essay Longer? Tricky Techniques!
Most of the times, essays come with specific requirements. There are different types of essays that are taught at schools and colleges, serving different purposes in the academic lives of students. Each and every essay comes with certain guidelines that need to be followed. One of the most important guidelines includes the word limit requirement.
IB SL & HL Biology Internal Assessment Topics
In this blog, our PRO IB team decided to avoid vague "how-tos" and dry theories, so we focused on the main crucial points when selecting a topic for your IB Biology IA. So fasten your seatbelts, because this article will narrow down a couple of ideas you can use for your SL or HL assessment to help you with biology IA ideas.
- Buy CUEGIS Essay
- Buy Extended Essay
- Buy Capstone Project
- Buy Critical Thinking Essay
- Buy a Compare and Contrast Essay
- Buy TOK Essay
- IB IA Writing Service
- Common App Essay Assistance
- Professional Thesis Assistance
- Do My Economics Homework
- Legal Brief Writing Service
- IB (EE) Extended Essay Writing
- IB ToK Essay Writing Help
- Order Custom Why Essay for College
- Internship Report Writing Service
- Buy Discussion Board Post
- Buy Custom Reaction Paper
- Get Help With a 5-paragraph Essay
- Expert Position Paper Writers
- Extended Essay Writers
- Report Writing Service
- Medical Writing Service
- Backstory Writing Service
- Article Writing Service
- Product Description Writing Service
- White Paper Writing Service
- Speech Writing Service
- Presentation Writing Service
- Letter Writing Service Online
- Travel Writing Service
- Press Release Writing Service
- Meeting Agendas Writing Service
What Is Systems Biology And How Does It Contribute To The Study Of Obesity? ... Will Increasing The Concentration Of Vermiculite In The Substrate Increase
Choosing a Topic ; Too Broad, Focused ; Marriage in the novels of George Eliot, The portrayal of marriages as imperfect in Middlemarch by George
Examples of English extended essay topics about Neoclassical literature · Why there were proper heroic couplets and rhyme schemes in classic
The Ultimate IB Extended Essay Guide · 1. How the change of habitat affects an X organism? · 2. How does climate affect the growth of X plant? · 3. Can
Dance; Global Politics; Literature and Performance; Mathematics; Studies in Language and Literature; Theatre; Visual Arts. 2. Keep considerable
English Extended Essay Topics · The importance of learning English literature in the modern world · Examine the importance of the literary
Talk about how literature personally influences you, because this EE is an opportunity to not only present information through research, but to
Excellent Extended Essay - English · Examination of how the domestic symbols of the house and food establish the themes of dislocation
Group 1: Studies in Language and Literature Essay Topics · What are the factors that affect specific political campaigns? · How has the use of
An analysis of the theme of identity in a specific novel or play.