Purdue Online Writing Lab College of Liberal Arts
Literature Topics and Research
Welcome to the Purdue OWL
This page is brought to you by the OWL at Purdue University. When printing this page, you must include the entire legal notice.
Copyright ©1995-2018 by The Writing Lab & The OWL at Purdue and Purdue University. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our terms and conditions of fair use.
This handout provides examples and description about writing papers in literature. It discusses research topics, how to begin to research, how to use information, and formatting.
What kinds of topics are good ones?
The best topics are ones that originate out of your own reading of a work of literature, but here are some common approaches to consider:
- A discussion of a work's characters: are they realistic, symbolic, historically-based?
- A comparison/contrast of the choices different authors or characters make in a work
- A reading of a work based on an outside philosophical perspective (Ex. how would a Freudian read Hamlet ?)
- A study of the sources or historical events that occasioned a particular work (Ex. comparing G.B. Shaw's Pygmalion with the original Greek myth of Pygmalion)
- An analysis of a specific image occurring in several works (Ex. the use of moon imagery in certain plays, poems, novels)
- A "deconstruction" of a particular work (Ex. unfolding an underlying racist worldview in Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness )
- A reading from a political perspective (Ex. how would a Marxist read William Blake's "London"?)
- A study of the social, political, or economic context in which a work was written — how does the context influence the work?
How do I start research?
Once you have decided on an interesting topic and work (or works), the best place to start is probably the Internet. Here you can usually find basic biographical data on authors, brief summaries of works, possibly some rudimentary analyses, and even bibliographies of sources related to your topic.
The Internet, however, rarely offers serious direct scholarship; you will have to use sources found in the library, sources like journal articles and scholarly books, to get information that you can use to build your own scholarship-your literary paper. Consult the library's on-line catalog and the MLA Periodical Index. Avoid citing dictionary or encyclopedic sources in your final paper.
How do I use the information I find?
The secondary sources you find are only to be used as an aid. Your thoughts should make up most of the essay. As you develop your thesis, you will bring in the ideas of the scholars to back up what you have already said.
For example, say you are arguing that Huck Finn is a Christ figure ; that's your basic thesis. You give evidence from the novel that allows this reading, and then, at the right place, you might say the following, a paraphrase:
According to Susan Thomas, Huck sacrifices himself because he wants to set Jim free (129).
If the scholar states an important idea in a memorable way, use a direct quote.
"Huck's altruism and feelings of compassion for Jim force him to surrender to the danger" (Thomas 129).
Either way, you will then link that idea to your thesis.
- How it works
Literature Dissertation Topics
Published by Carmen Troy at January 9th, 2023 , Revised On February 7, 2023
A literature dissertation aims to contextualise themes, ideas, and interests that have grabbed a reader’s interest and attention, giving them a more profound meaning through the movement of time within and outside cultures.
Literature is a comprehensive knowledge of other writers’ views, and to understand them, a student must perform extensive reading and research. A writer coveys their thoughts and ideas through their literary works, including the views and opinions of writers ranging from topics on philosophy , religious preferences, sociology , academics, and psychology .
To help you get started with brainstorming for literature topic ideas, we have developed a list of the latest topics that can be used for writing your literature dissertation.
These topics have been developed by PhD qualified writers of our team , so you can trust to use these topics for drafting your dissertation.
You may also want to start your dissertation by requesting a brief research proposal from our writers on any of these topics, which includes an introduction to the topic, research question , aim and objectives , literature review along with the proposed methodology of research to be conducted. Let us know if you need any help in getting started.
Check our dissertation examples to get an idea of how to structure your dissertation .
Review the full list of dissertation topics for 2022 here.
2022 Literature Dissertation Topics
Topic 1: impact of the second language barrier on the social integration of immigrants- a case of chinese nationals migrating to the uk.
Research Aim: This research purposes an analysis to show the impact of the second language barrier on the social integration of Chinese immigrants in the UK. It will analyze how this barrier affects various segments of their lives by limiting their social interactions. Moreover, it will identify ways (language courses, communal support, financial support, etc.) through which government and civil society help these immigrants to overcome this barrier to make them feel inclusive in the UK and play a part in the economy.
Topic 2: The Power of the Writer’s Imagination- A Study Finding the Role of Writer Imagination in the Social Revolution in 19th-Century Europe
Research Aim: This study intends to identify the role of the writer’s imagination in the social revolution in 19 th century Europe. It will show how writers’ imagination is reflected in their writings and how it affects ordinary individuals’ mindsets. It will assess the writings of various authors during the 19 th -century social revolution when Europe replaced the monarchy with democracy. It will show the language used by the authors and its effect on the individuals’ will to achieve democracy.
Topic 3: How does an Accent Develop? An Exploratory Analysis Finding Factors Shaped Various English Accents in the World- A Case of America, Australia, and India
Research Aim: This research will analyze how an accent develops when a language is imported from one region to the other. It will identify how various factors such as culture, norms, politics, religion, etc., affect accent development. And to show this effect, this research will show how the English accent changed when it came to America, Australia, and India. Moreover, it will indicate whether social resistance in these areas affected the accent or was readily accepted.
Topic 4: “Gender Pronouns and their Usage” a New Debate in the Social Linguistics Literature- A Systematic Review of the Past and Present Debates
Research Aim: This study sheds light on a relatively new debate in politics, sociology, and linguistics, which is how to correctly use gender pronouns in all of these contexts. Therefore, this study will explore these areas, but the main focus will be on linguistics. It will review various theories and frameworks in linguistics to show multiple old and new debates on the subject matter. Moreover, a systematic review will determine the correct usage of gender pronouns.
Topic 5: Are Men Portrayed Better in the English Literature? A Feminist Critique of the Old English Literature
Research Aim: This research will analyze whether men are portrayed better in English literature through a feminist lens. It will assess a different kind of English literature, such as poems, essays, novels, etc., to show whether men are portrayed better than women in various contexts. Moreover, it will analyze multiple classical and modern-day writers to see how they use different male and female characters in their literature. Lastly, it will add a feminist perspective on the subject matter by introducing the feminist theory and its portrayal of men and women.
Covid-19 Literature Research Topics
Topic 1: the scientific literature of coronavirus pandemic.
Research Aim: This study will review the scientific literature of Coronavirus pandemic
Topic 2: Literature and the future world after Coronavirus.
Research Aim: This study will reveal the world’s literature predictions after the pandemic.
Topic 3: Coronavirus is a trending topic among the media, writers, and publishers
Research Aim: Covid-19 has disrupted every sector’s health care system and economy. Apart from this, the topic of the Coronavirus has become trending everywhere. This study will highlight whether the information provided about COVID-19 by all the sources is authentic? What kind of misleading information is presented?
Literature Dissertation Topics for 2021
Topic 1: dependence of humans on computers.
Research Aim: This research aims to study the dependence of humans on the computer, its advantages and disadvantages.
Topic 2: Whether or not the death penalty is effective in the current era?
Research Aim: This research aims to identify whether the death penalty is effective in the current era.
Topic 3: Fashion Industry and its impact on people's upward and downward social perception
Research Aim: This research aims to identify the impact on people’s upward and downward social perception
Topic 4: Communication gaps in families due to the emergence of social media
Research Aim: This research aims to address the communication gaps in families due to the emergence of social media and suggest possible ways to overcome them.
Topic 5: Employment and overtime working hours- a comparative study
Research Aim: This research aims to measure the disadvantages of overtime working hours of employees.
Topic 6: Machine translators Vs. human translators
Research Aim: This research aims to conduct a comparative study of machine translators and human translators
Topic 7: Freelancing Vs 9 to 5 jobs- a comparative study
Research Aim: This research aims to compare freelancing jobs with 9 to 5 jobs.
Literature Dissertation Topics for 2020
Topic 1: the effects of everyday use of digital media on youth in the uk..
Research Aim: Digital media is a normal part of a person’s life. In this research, the aim is to examine and analyse; how young people between the ages of 15-25 in the UK engage with digital media. The study includes the amount of time interaction occurs and the role of time-space, time elasticities, and online/offline intersections.
Topic 2: Critical analysis of the teenager protagonist in “The Room on the Roof” written by Ruskin Bond.
Research Aim: Many Indian writers and children’s book authors regard Ruskin Bond as an icon. This research will systematically study the alienated teenage protagonist in Ruskin’s “The Room on the Roof” and how Ruskin evolved the character gradually throughout the novel. The way Ruskin used this protagonist to reflect his feelings and convey them to the reader.
Topic 3: Promotion of women empowerment through mass media in Nepal.
Research Aim: The primary purpose of this study is to analyse the role of mass media, including audio, print, and audio-visual, in the empowerment of women in the Nepal region. It also discusses the development of mass media in Nepal and spreading awareness of women’s empowerment.
How Can Research Prospect Help?
Research Prospect writers can send several custom topic ideas to your email address. Once you have chosen a topic that suits your needs and interests, you can order for our dissertation outline service , which will include a brief introduction to the topic, research questions , literature review , methodology , expected results , and conclusion . The dissertation outline will enable you to review the quality of our work before placing the order for our full dissertation writing service !
Seventeenth and Eighteenth-Century Literature Dissertation Topics
Topic 1: eighteenth-century british literature..
Research Aim: This study aims to study the evolution of modern British literature compared to eighteenth-century literature. This research will focus on the genre of comedy only. The research will discuss the causes of laughter in the eighteenth century compared to things that cause laughter in modern times.
Topic 5: A systematic study of Chaucer’s Miller’s tale.
Research Aim: This research aims to take a closer look at Chaucer’s heavily censored story, “The Miller’s Tale.” It seeks to look at why “The Miller’s Tale” is criticised and categorised as obscene and unfit for a general read. The study will analyse the writer’s writing style, language, and method for the research paper.
Topic 3: Understanding 17th-century English culture using a model of Francis Bacon’s idea.
Research Aim: This research aims to take a more in-depth look into Francis Bacon’s idea of modern economic development. To conduct the study, machine learning processes will be implemented to examine Francis’s ideas and their implementations in contemporary times.
Topic 4: The relation between early 18th-century English plays and The emerging financial market.
Research Aim: This research aims to analyse the relationship between eighteenth-century plays and a flourishing financial market. Most theatrical plays were written and performed in the middle of the 1720s, but writing carried out contributed to the financial market.
Topic 5: Issues of climate change used in early English literature: Shakespeare’s View of the sky.
Research Aim: This research aims to analyse climate change’s impact on early English writings. Climatic issues were faced even in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, providing writers with another topic to add to their published work. This research will focus on the work of Shakespeare, in which he included the specifics of climate change.
Also Read: Medicine and Nursing Dissertation Topics Free
Nineteenth-Century Dissertation Topics
Topic 1: impact of nineteenth-century gothic vampire literature on female members of the gothic subculture..
Research Aim: This research will look at the introduction of gothic vampire literature and its impact on female members of the gothic subculture. It includes a complete analysis of writing style and the impression it left of the female readers’.
Topic 2: Women theatre managers and the theatre in the late nineteenth century.
Research Aim: This research aims to view the impact on theatres under the management of women theatre managers. The improvement to theatre shows, along with the hardships faced by some managers, is discussed. The proposed study analyses the categories of theatre plays.
Topic 3: The history of American literature.
Research Aim: This research aims to give a brief history of American literature’s development and evolution throughout the centuries. The timeline begins from the early 15th century to the late 19th century. Word variations, sentence structures, grammar, and written impressions will be analysed.
Topic 4: “New women” concept in the novels of Victorian age English writers.
Research Aim: This research aims to analyse women’s position in the early nineteenth and how later Victorian writers used their work to give women a new identity. The method employed by these writers who wrote from a feminist point of view will also be discussed.
Topic 5: Discussing the role of the writer in their own story.
Research Aim: This research aims to analyse the form in which the writer reveals their presence to the reader. The methods can be achieved directly or use the characters to replace themselves in the narrative. The study observes the phrases, vocabulary, and situations the writer uses to narrate.
“Complete this short online form and provide as much information as possible to receive instant quotes from our writers specialising in your area of research.”
Order a Proposal
Worried about your dissertation proposal? Not sure where to start?
- Choose any deadline
- Plagiarism free
- Unlimited free amendments
- Free anti-plagiarism report
- Completed to match exact requirements
Twentieth Century Dissertation Topics
Topic 1: effect of gender association in modern literature..
Research Aim: This research aims to analyse the issue of gender association in twentieth-century literature. Currently, male characters are described in a more masculine term than before in comparison to female counterparts. This research will also explore the possible approach of the possible characterisation of the two genders.
Topic 2: Feminism and literature.
Research Aim: This research aims to analyse the impacts of feminism on modern English literature quality. The study will look into the ideology of feminism and how feminist thoughts impact the readers’ view.
Topic 3: Modern literature based on climate change and eco-themes.
Research Aim: This research will study the various works of writers who tackled climate change and other eco-themes in their work. The study discusses the way they portrayed the item along with their views on preventing climate change. Modern work is compared to the work of previous writers who wrote about climate change.
Topic 4: How are fathers portrayed in modern literature?
Research Aim: This research will study the role of fathers in modern literature. The way the father character is portrayed in recent times has changed compared to writing in the early centuries. This research will look into the evolution of the father figure over time.
Topic 5: Literature for Asian American children.
Research Aim: This research will examine the fusion of classic American literature and Asian literature for children. The different genera’s that are produced and the style of writing will be analysed.
Also Read: Free Law Dissertation Topics
Children’s Literature Dissertation Topics
Topic 1: the influence of the intersection of race and bullying in children’s books..
Research Aim: This research will analyse the literature made for children from 2015 to 2019 in which the intersection between race and bullying is made. The study will evaluate the impact of literature read by a child in which there is bullying. Various picture books are analysed to observe the influence of racism on bullying.
Topic 2: Diversity of culture in children’s literature.
Research Aim: This research will observe the influence of the various cultural aspects of children’s books. The study will analyse the impact of mixed cultures on literature in a community and how it affects children’s mindsets from a young age.
Topic 3: The use of literature to shape a child's mind.
Research Aim: This research will analyse the effects of literature on a child’s mind. Behaviour, intelligence, and interactions between children and their age fellows are to be observed. A child’s behaviour with adults will also be analysed.
Topic 4: Evolution of children's literature.
Research Aim: This research will explore the change in children’s literature trends. This research will compare the literary work from the mid-nineteen century with modern-day children’s books. Differences in vocabulary, sentence structure, and mode of storytelling will be examined.
Topic 5: Racial discrimination in “the cat in the hat” impacts children’s racial views.
Research Aim: This research will take an in-depth analysis of the children’s story, “The Cat in the Hat,” to observe if it has any racial remarks which cause an increase in racism among children. The words used and the pictures found on the page will be thoroughly analysed, and their impact on the children reading it.
Topic 6: Measuring the nature of a child’s early composing.
Research Aim: This research will analyse the development of a child’s writing skills based on the type of books they read. The book’s genera, vocabulary, and the writing style of the child’s preferred book will be considered.
Topic 7: Use of a classroom to incorporate multicultural children’s literature.
Research Aim: This research will reflect on the potential use of a school classroom to promote multicultural literature for children. Since a classroom is filled with children of different cultural backgrounds, it becomes easier to introduce multicultural literature. The difficulties and the advantages to society in the incorporation of multicultural literature in classrooms are discussed.
As literature looking to get good grades, it is essential to develop new ideas and experiment with existing literature theories – i.e., to add value and interest to your research topic.
The literature field is vast and interrelated to many other academic disciplines like linguistics , English literature and more. That is why creating a literature dissertation topic that is particular, sound, and actually solves a practical problem that may be rampant in the field is imperative.
We can’t stress how important it is to develop a logical research topic based on your entire research. There are several significant downfalls to getting your topic wrong; your supervisor may not be interested in working on it, the topic has no academic creditability, the research may not make logical sense, and there is a possibility that the study is not viable.
This impacts your time and efforts in writing your dissertation , as you may end up in the cycle of rejection at the initial stage of the dissertation. That is why we recommend reviewing existing research to develop a topic, taking advice from your supervisor, and even asking for help in this particular stage of your dissertation.
While developing a research topic, keeping our advice in mind will allow you to pick one of the best literature dissertation topics that fulfil your requirement of writing a research paper and add to the body of knowledge.
Therefore, it is recommended that when finalizing your dissertation topic, you read recently published literature to identify gaps in the research that you may help fill.
Remember- dissertation topics need to be unique, solve an identified problem, be logical, and be practically implemented. Please look at some of our sample literature dissertation topics to get an idea for your own dissertation.
How to Structure your Literature Dissertation
A well-structured dissertation can help students to achieve a high overall academic grade.
- A Title Page
- Abstract: A summary of the research completed
- Table of Contents
- Introduction : This chapter includes the project rationale, research background, key research aims and objectives, and the research problems. An outline of the structure of a dissertation can also be added to this chapter.
- Literature Review : This chapter presents relevant theories and frameworks by analysing published and unpublished literature on the chosen research topic to address research questions . The purpose is to highlight and discuss the selected research area’s relative weaknesses and strengths whilst identifying any research gaps. Break down the topic and key terms that can positively impact your dissertation and your tutor.
- Methodology : The data collection and analysis methods and techniques employed by the researcher are presented in the Methodology chapter, which usually includes research design , research philosophy, research limitations, code of conduct, ethical consideration, data collection methods, and data analysis strategy .
- Findings and Analysis : Findings of the research are analysed in detail under the Findings and Analysis chapter. All key findings/results are outlined in this chapter without interpreting the data or drawing any conclusions. It can be useful to include graphs, charts, and tables in this chapter to identify meaningful trends and relationships.
- Discussion and Conclusion : The researcher presents his interpretation of results in this chapter and states whether the research hypothesis has been verified or not. An essential aspect of this section of the paper is to link the results and evidence from the literature. Recommendations with regards to implications of the findings and directions for the future may also be provided. Finally, a summary of the overall research, along with final judgments, opinions, and comments, must be included in the form of suggestions for improvement.
- References : Your University’s requirements should complete this
- Appendices : Any additional information, diagrams, and graphs used to complete the dissertation but not part of the dissertation should be included in the Appendices chapter. Essentially, the purpose is to expand the information/data.
About Research Prospect Ltd
Research Prospect is a UK based academic writing service that provides help with Dissertation Proposal Writing , PhD. Proposal Writing , Dissertation Writing , Dissertation Editing, and Improvement .
Our team of writers is highly qualified. They are experts in their respective fields. They have been working for us for a long time. Thus, they are well aware of the issues and the trends of the subject they specialize in.
Free Dissertation Topic
Academic Level Select Academic Level Undergraduate Graduate PHD
Area of Research
You May Also Like
Here’s a list of the 65 latest and most controversial yet interesting dissertation topics on gender to help you with your gender dissertation and research.
Need interesting and manageable Marketing dissertation topics or thesis? Here are the trending Operations Marketing dissertation titles so you can choose the most suitable one.
If you are an avid photographer and wish to spend your life doing something that you love, which is obviously photography, you must be thinking about pursuing it further.
Ready to place an order?
Useful links, learning resources.
- How It Works
- Write my thesis
- Thesis writers
- Buy thesis papers
- Bachelor thesis
- Master's thesis
- Thesis editing services
- Thesis proofreading services
- Buy a thesis online
- Write my dissertation
- Dissertation proposal help
- Pay for dissertation
- Custom dissertation
- Dissertation help online
- Buy dissertation online
- Cheap dissertation
- Dissertation editing services
- Write my research paper
- Buy research paper online
- Pay for research paper
- Research paper help
- Order research paper
- Custom research paper
- Cheap research paper
- Research papers for sale
- Thesis subjects
- How It Works
100 Best Literature Research Paper Topics For Students
Literary research paper topics are among the most interesting to write about. Books are the best teachers for most learners. And, students love reading interesting literature books. But, when asked to write research papers, most students have difficulties choosing their topics. That’s because many issues can be investigated and written about.
For instance, literary topics can be about characters’ personalities in certain works. They can also be about particular characteristics of specific literary genres. Learners can also choose literary analysis topics that focus on the life story of famous writers or poets. But, regardless of what a learner opts to write about, they should choose interesting topics.
What are Interesting Literary Research Paper Topics?
Several factors make a topic interesting to write about. A topic for a research paper or a graduate thesis should generally be definite, specific, and innovative. Also, it should be interesting to research and write about. Here’s how to select interesting literature topics:
Think about something. Explore the idea to select a topic for which you can find sufficient research data from credible sources. Narrow down your subject if you find it too broad.
English literature topics can be classified into different categories. Here some of these categories and topics can be considered in each category.
Great World Literature Research Topics
Perhaps, you’ve been asked to write a literature research paper with a global perspective. Here are some of the literary analysis research paper topics that you can consider.
- Explain how the supernatural and spirituality help in furthering the development of the plot in the Latin American literature of the early 20th century.
- What themes are common in the Japanese poems of the early 20th century? How do they differ from those of the early 19th century?
- Compare the early Chinese literary works and European literary works of the middle ages. How different or alike are they?
- How were European literary works in the early 20th century shaped by the revolutionary works of Engels and Marx? What examples can demonstrate this influence?
- Explain how the Muslim philosophers’ work of the 15th century led to new ideas and inventions across the globe.
- Compare and contrast different anti-British works that originated in India in the 19th century with pro-colonialist works that came from England at the same time.
- How did the nightmarish utopian future ideas of Aldous Huxley influence modern-day science fiction writers across the world?
- Explain how the Antigone play by Sophocles deals with the conflict between the central characters while relating to the state laws and individual conscience.
- How are the sentiments of the authors reflected in Animal Farm by George Orwell and concerns about the October Revolution?
- Explain some of the examples of literary fiction pieces that have shaped cultures in the world. Have historic, societal, and cultural factors played some roles in shaping these literature pieces?
- Being a prolific writer in the early and mid-19th century, Charles Dickens’s works were published in serialized forms. How and why has this approach become less fashionable?
- Compare and contrast the early Japanese literature works and the early Chinese literature works. How do they differ in terms of values and culture?
- Explain how comedy differs in literature across cultures. What comedy appeared in the early theatrical performances and it’s still present in modern literature?
- Analyze chivalry and honor critically in the Green Knight and Sir Gawain. What are the qualities of these works from a similar period?
- Compare and contrast the Odyssey and Iliad by Homer the Ancient Greek. Explain how cultures across the world have adapted the themes presented in the poem.
Top Literary topics for Research Paper
Some topics for literary analysis stand out among students. These are topics that educators recommend for students across the study levels.
- How is literature an aspect of modern culture?
- Explain how feminism has influenced modern literature
- How is psychology utilized in literature?
- Explain the major social issues that have been exposed by literary works
- Explain the philosophical tradition of Daoism in the Chinese literature
- Explain the roles played by death and honor in Japanese literature in the 20th century
- Explain how the European culture influences the Mid-West literature
- How has European culture affected modern literature?
- Analyze the personality of Don Quixote
- Explain how literature differs between countries.
- Discuss poetry in the innovative ear of the 21st century
- Examine racism in the novels of the 1960s and 1970s
- Explain the exile’s perception in literature
- Literature and culture? Which one affects the other?
- How has literature addressed homosexuality?
These can also be great literary debate topics. That’s because learners can have varying opinions about them.
British Literature Research Paper Topics
Students have many topics to choose from when it comes to British literature essay topics. Here are some of the best literature topics from the works of British authors.
- Discuss Victorian England’s picture with the works of Charles Dickens in mind
- Discuss the theme of Orphans with the Oliver Twist character in mind
- Explain how British Literature has influenced different cultures
- Explain how British literature has addressed gender issues
- Explain how King Lear highlights the differences between anti-heroes and villains
- Explain William Shakespeare’s personality- Highlight facts and myths
- Choose two famous British novels and then compare the characters in them
- Explain the viewpoint of different writers about the Utopian civilization idea
- With Harry Potter books in mind, explain why some literature books are considered classics
- Explain how love and romantic love are presented in Charlotte Bronte’s works
- Explain how modern literary works have been affected by the Victorian period works
- Discuss the adultery theme in Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- Who are the main characters in Lake Poets’ works?
- Explain how violent imagery was used in World War I poetry
- Explain talent as a theme in Milton’s on His Blindness
- Explain innocence loss in William Golding’s Lord of the Flies
- Explain the theme of individualism versus collectivism in Oliver Twist
- Explain why the popularity of detective novels increased in the XIX century
- What role did the supernatural play in Macbeth: a case study of three witches
- Class demarcation in XVII century- The vengeance theme
American Literature Topics
Some teachers ask students to choose American literature research topics for certain reasons. If asked to write on such topics, here are some of the American literature research paper topics to consider.
- Analyze key aspects of American ideology, particularly in the literature written before the 20th century.
- Determine thematic concerns and literary styles of the major historical period of American literature between the colonial period and post-modernism.
- Show the American identity uniqueness of texts
- Propose connections between the American literature concerns and themes in the larger historical development and social issues that face the present world
- Examine major concerns and themes that reappear across the American literature
- Highlight the major themes in Absalom, Absalom by William Faulkner
- Explain the African American Experience with female authors like Alice Walker, Zora Neal Hurston, and Toni Morrison
- Explain the predominant theme in The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
- Explain how Jonathan Edwards epitomizes Puritan definitions in his sermons
- Explain the use of historical personalities and events by Washington Irving as the background for his works
- The Crucible demonstrates how a community can be torn apart by hysteria. Explain
- Explain how Sylvia Plath demonstrates the social pressure faced by women in the 1960s in the Bell Jar.
- Explain how John Knowles demonstrates the impact of war on everyone
- Explain the strong belief in the education power by Maya Angelou as depicted in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
- Explain how Thornton Wilder conveys life as a gift in Our Town
- Discuss the themes of anger and pity in the Grapes of Wrath
- Explain how Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck portrays the Great Depression struggles
- Discuss the portrayal of the unconquerable spirit in Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.
- Plays by Eugene O’Neil are tragically realistic. Explain
- God is humanized in The Creation poem by James Weldon Johnson. Explain
Some of the ideas here are great poetry topics. Nevertheless, they require careful research and analysis to write about.
High School Literary Essay Topics
Some topics in literature are ideal for high school essays. Here are examples of literary analysis paper topics for high school students.
- Compare and contrast the major characters in your preferred book
- Choose your favorite character in a book and explain your reasons for liking it
- Please explain why the quality of a literature book is not determined by its length
- Highlight the similarities of your favorite books
- Discuss the top 4 authors in horror books
- Explain why reading some books is more difficult than reading others
- Explain what it takes to write a high-quality poem
- Who is your favorite poet and why?
- Explain what makes your favorite book interesting
- Who is your favorite character in literary works and why?
- What makes some literature books difficult to read?
- Who are your favorite top 5 authors and why?
- Should the age of readers be restricted to some books?
- What is your favorite literary genre?
- Explain why the author determines the quality of a book more than the story
- Discuss the literary works of your favorite authors
- Why is it important to captivate readers with the introductory chapter of a book?
- Which book genre makes great movies?
- Why is the work of Harry Potter so popular?
- Explain why your favorite horror book is scary
Unique Research Topics in English Literature
Some literature research topics are unique and can be written about by learners at different study levels. Here are examples of such topics.
- Analyze the use of literary devices in novels
- Discuss the author’s autobiography
- Analyze literary genres and the role played by an artist in them
- Compare the works of a similar genre
- Highlight the gender roles of characters in literary works
- Social stratification and Harry Potter- Discuss
- With Charles Dickens’ work in mind, explain the peculiarity of the bildungsroman genre.
- Explain how The Lord of the Rings uses artificial language
- Explain how the Sherlock Holmes image influences the world of detective fiction
- Explain the war theme in the world literature
These are also great literary journalism topics. Nevertheless, they require extensive research to write about.
In a nutshell, students have many literary argument topics to consider. The most important thing is to choose an interesting topic that you can find sufficient data to write about. Also, don’t hesitate to check our history topics .
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
As Putin continues killing civilians, bombing kindergartens, and threatening WWIII, Ukraine fights for the world's peaceful future.
Ukraine Live Updates
Find the best tips and advice to improve your writing. Or, have a top expert write your paper.
221 Awesome Literary Research Paper Topics To Choose From
Are you looking for the best literary research paper topic or wondering how to choose a topic for a literary research paper? You are at the right place. The hardest part of doing research is getting an ideal topic. Once, you get a great topic you are good to go.
We have a great number of best-rated expert writers that can provide well-done professional papers. As students in college, we understand that high payment rates can be frustrating, that’s why we offer cheap prices for high-quality work. We offer the best help with research papers to get top grades. Browse through this variety of topics to find the best fit for you.
Literature Research Topics
Getting an ideal literature research paper topic can consume a lot of time. In this category, you will get some of the best literature research topics.
- Discuss the American dream in literature.
- How do religion and literature correlate?
- Discuss the “stream of consciousness” style of literature.
- Examine artificial languages in literature.
- How is mythology termed in literature?
- Discuss why Harry Potter became that popular.
- Is it advisable for literature to be gendered?
- Evaluate between utopian and dystopian literature.
- Discuss the work of Shakespeare.
- How can you rate the feminist literature – does it have a ground?
- Evaluate the impact of the work of Shakespeare.
- Can fan fiction be considered an independent part of literature?
- How do clichés work in literature
- How are the Byronic characters in literature?
- Discuss the good and evil of studying literature.
- The literary work during WWI
- Evaluate the portrayal of war and peace by George Orwell.
Interesting Literature Topics
Did you know that there are interesting literature topics? They deal with the evolution of literature and how it has grown till the present time. Thinking of literature topics for research paper is challenging, so here are some more options.
- How can you term irony and sarcasm in literature?
- How can literature be termed as an instrument of propaganda?
- Discuss madness in literature.
- The influence of trickster characters in literature.
- Discuss travel writing in the 20 th century.
- Evaluate narrative nature and verse since 1900.
- How has city living changed since 1900?
- Evaluate literature as part of modern culture.
- How are social issues exposed in literature?
- The relation between literature and psychology.
- The influence of European culture in the Midwest literature.
- The differences between the literature of different countries.
- The effect of European culture on modern literature.
- The impact of feminism on modern culture.
- Evaluate Japanese literature in the 20 th century.
Literature Topics for a Research Paper
In this category, you will get a wide variety of literature topics that you can use for your research. A well-written research paper will help you get top grades.
- What can you term as the cultural production of Latina writers?
- Discuss the representation of Ethics in literature.
- Evaluate the famous work of Ernest Hemingway.
- Expound on the invented languages in literature.
- Why do you think “Harry Potter” has become so popular?
- How is the Image of death represented as a character in literature?
- The impact of literature on kids.
- Is there an appropriate gender in literature?
- Evaluate the Victorian literature.
- Elaborate on the complete work of William Shakespeare.
- Discuss whether fanfiction is independent literature.
- Which are the Byronic characters in literature.
- Elaborate irony versus sarcasm in literature.
- How can literature be used as an instrument of propaganda?
Literature Research Paper Topics
In this category of research paper topics, you get to relate one phenomenon with the other. They are also based on some well-known novels. When thinking of literary topics for research paper, consider your scope of knowledge and interest in the topic.
- The correlation between psychology and literature.
- How is the construction of social identity?
- How can you describe the settler nationhood and the wilderness in North American poetry?
- Why does place matters to a poet?
- Evaluate travel writing in the 20 th century and 21 st century.
- The influence of animals in children’s literature.
- Evaluate the importance of humor in children’s literature.
- Discuss the best children’s novels from 1900.
- How does young adult literature represent disability?
- How to read to under five years old children to develop relationships and imaginations?
- Evaluate the modern novel and psychology.
- Define the cross-disciplinary boundaries between archaeology and English literature.
- Evaluate the 19 th -century novel and science.
- Evaluate how history is important in deciphering modern literature.
- How is philosophy important to literature.
English Literature Research Paper Topics
In English literature, it focuses on how various novels, classics, or books are written to explain a certain phenomenon. Here are some literature topics that you can start with:
- Evaluate the methods of teaching English literature.
- Investigate modern Indian literature in English translation.
- Evaluate women writers and the survey of English literature.
- Investigate the impact of the Bible on English literature.
- Evaluate the impact of the Classics on Literature.
- Define the scope of English literature in Educating people.
- Explain the influence of Darwin on Literature.
- Explain medieval English literature.
- Examine Women studies and Feminism in India.
- Evaluate the short history of the Norton Anthology of the English language.
- Evaluate the English Renaissance study.
- Investigate medieval feminism in middle English Studies.
- Evaluate women in Indian English Literature.
- Discuss feminism and modern Indian literature.
- Discuss the evolution of English in North America.
Topics in Literature
Literature requires full concentration to get to the bottom of a certain phenomenon. We have simplified the topics to make it easier for you to do your assignment in college.
- Discuss Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet based on Male melodrama.
- How as black lives matter movement influenced black literature?
- Evaluate the contemporary refuge literature.
- Investigate post-colonialism and climate change in literature.
- Discuss tradition and modernity through the lens of Tagore Gora.
- Investigate the relation between pre-independence and post-independence in Indian literature.
- The role of African literary responses to Racism.
- The literature on homosexuality.
- The significance of Literature in the modern world.
- Feminism growth in the twentieth century.
- The effects of fairy tales perceptions in the modern era.
- Correlation between pre-independence and post-independence Indian literature.
- Discuss the novel, “To kill a Mockingbird from 1960”.
- The significance of Shakespeare in the world of Literature.
- How did the artistry of writing novels start?
- The character analysis of Emy and Rebecca in Vanity Fair.
- The Depiction of vampires in the 19 th and 21 st -century literature.
Research Topics in English Literature
In this category, there are comparison topics that you can analyze for your research. These are based on well-known books and novels in English.
- Evaluate the diversity of Chaucer’s genres in tales of Canterbury.
- The accuracy of historical novels in the document happenings.
- How has the role of a woman changed in twentieth-century literature?
- What effect does Milton’s paradise lost have on 17 th -century literature?
- How have James Joyce and William Burroughs done their novels?
- What is our modern perspective about 19 th -century novels and the general public and similar perspectives when they were first published?
- Evaluate the less-known work of well-known writers.
- Examine why adults find Lord of the Rings appealing.
- How does the work of Maya Angelou play a role in African literary responses to racism?
- Recognizing the unconscious in modernist literature.
- Evaluate the representation of Hindu and Buddhist thought in Modern Literature.
- The representation of abortion in British Literature.
- Profess poetry in terms of style and faith in Hopkins.
- Evaluate the evolution of literature in the twentieth century.
- Describe the writing nature in the age of chemical countryside.
Literature Topics for Research Papers
These are some of the best literature topics for research papers. They require minimal effort to submit a well-written research paper.
- The roles of gender in modern literature.
- The importance of having animals in children’s literature.
- Analysis of the first world war.
- How accurate is History as described in historical novels?
- The difference between literature in the US and Great Britain.
- Analyze the 19 th -century poetic imagination.
- Examine the 19 th -century poetic imagination based on astronomy.
- How is quantum physics applied in literature?
- What is the most important work written by William Shakespeare?
- The Female masculinities in old English Literature.
- The difference between modernism and realism.
- Critical analysis of First World War poetry.
- The analysis of the meaning of fairy tales in literature.
- The influence on literature during the renaissance era.
- The historical analysis of children’s literature.
- The idea of death in Renaissance literature.
- The historical background of Duma’s novels.
Literary Topics for a Research Paper
Literary topics are diverse. This can make it hectic to choose an appropriate one for your research paper.
- Discuss the most important work of Shakespeare.
- Describe the gothic novel’s gender representation.
- The effect of social media language on learners.
- The travails of the African woman.
- The utilization of language activities in teaching and learning of English Language.
- Discuss women in nation-building and influence on literature.
- The relevance of folktale in the learning of literature.
- The significance of drama and poetry in literature.
- Factors affecting the choice of language in a multilingual society.
- Comparative study of morphological processes in English.
- Comparative study of Achebe’s “Things fall apart”.
- The significance of proverbs in literature.
- The influence of politics in the building of literary texts.
- The analysis of speech in literature.
- The analysis of threat in literature.
Research Topics in Literature
These research topics are based on various societal aspects and impacts on the world. They also deal with people’s emotions and behaviors in different contexts.
- The nativization of English in African literary texts.
- An analysis of the Asian theatre and influence on modern literature.
- The examination of leadership in literature.
- The relevance of literature in the world.
- What is the need to study literature?
- Evaluate the evolution of literature from the start till now.
- Analyze the methods used in creating styles in the literature.
- What are some of the feminist criticism of some selected Feminist works?
- The importance of fiction in literature.
- The relevance of emotion and narration in novel writing in literature.
- Discuss how conflicts are brought out in literary novels.
- What is the effect of language diversity on the development of a country?
- Discuss the relevance of music and revolution.
- The challenges of language on national development.
- What is the communication medium used in literature?
Literature Paper Topics
Here are some of the best literature paper topics that you can use for your research. As long as you narrow down the research topic, getting relevant information will be easy.
- The difference between linguistic and grammatical theories.
- The problems related to tenses in literature.
- The evaluation of word formation in literature.
- The significance of poems in literature.
- The evolution and levels of modern literature.
- The personal happiness versus societal norms in Victorian literature.
- The sentence structure of English literature.
- Does the native language of a person influence adoption of a second language?
- An analysis of problems associated with learning a second language.
- The manifestation of non-standard usage of English among University Students.
- The influence of rituals, music, songs, and dances in literature.
- The poetic language and influence on the expression.
- How can literature be termed as the vehicle for social change?
- The syntactic problems associated with English usage.
- The influence of society on students’ performance in literature.
- Teaching and learning strengths in literature.
American Literature Research Paper Topics
Finding an ideal research paper topic in America’s context can consume a lot of time. Here you will find simplified topics for your research paper.
- Discuss contemporary American Literature.
- The African Realism and influence in Literature.
- How did colonization influence modern literature?
- Define 20 th -century Latin American literature.
- Evaluate African Americans and their fight for equality in American Literature.
- Define realism, naturalism, and modernism in African American literature.
- Evaluate Allen Ginsberg and American Protest literature.
- Examine American literature and society.
- Analyze American literature in Post-World War II.
- American Literature in the 20 th and 21 st century.
- American literature and religious ideologies.
- Anne Bradstreet’s contribution to American Literature.
- The influence of Asian American literature.
- Evaluate the color interpretations in the great Gatsby.
- The common themes in American Literature.
Literature Research Paper Topics for College Students
Are you a college student looking for an ideal literature research paper? Here are some topics for you!
- Provide your understanding of censorship in American Literature.
- Evaluate black American women writers and their influence on the world.
- Architectural imagery in 20 th century African American literature.
- How do characters lose their innocence in literature?
- The different modes of communication in literature.
- The conversation of American Sign Language in literature.
- How are dialects and death shown in literature?
- How does Literature portray American culture?
- How does self-verification occur in African American Literature?
- The generational divide and impact on modern literature.
- The establishment of traditional excellence.
- Explore the modern literature.
- How can you define masculinity in literature?
- The impact of World War I on American literature.
- The significance of African American literature addressing the black experience.
- The male and female characters in Beowulf.
- The relationship between mother and daughter in Beloved.
Literature Review Topics Examples
Do you know how to do a literature review on various topics? Try any of this and see your proficiency in the sector.
- A literature review on rational and rationality.
- A literature review on dependence and development.
- A literature review on resource scarcity in the modern world.
- A literature review on pop culture.
- A literature review on Feminist international relations.
- A literature review on complex organizations and regimes.
- A literature review on censorship in TV shows.
- A literature review on global warming and its influence on mankind.
- Literature review on why children’s books are popular.
- A literature review on how authors choose writing styles.
- The use of artificial language in literature.
- How education affects literature per era.
- The most effective villains in literature.
- How does Shakespeare inspire modern authors?
- Propaganda and literature in the modern world.
- Toni Morrison’s views on the civil way
- The concept of war in the book; a fable by Faulkner.
Don’t Want To Spend Time Writing a Literary Paper?
Are you looking for the best research paper writing service online? We are here for you! We can even provide samples of previously done work for reference. You may want to get research paper help because of your tight schedule and we understand that. The prices are affordable for college and university students, and you get the best rated, high quality help with research paper there is! Explore through the wide variety of topics to see which suits you best and we will do the work for you.
Make PhD experience your own
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
As Putin continues killing civilians, bombing kindergartens, and threatening WWIII, Ukraine fights for the world's peaceful future.
The best topics are ones that originate out of your own reading of a work of literature, but here are some common approaches to consider: A discussion of a work's characters: are they realistic, symbolic, historically-based? A comparison/contrast of the choices different authors or characters make in a work
Children’s Literature Dissertation Topics Topic 1: The influence of the intersection of race and bullying in children’s books. Topic 2: Diversity of culture in children’s literature. Topic 3: The use of literature to shape a child's mind. Topic 4: Evolution of children's literature.
Some topics for literary analysis stand out among students. These are topics that educators recommend for students across the study levels. How is literature an aspect of modern culture? Explain how feminism has influenced modern literature How is psychology utilized in literature?
Here are some literature topics that you can start with: Evaluate the methods of teaching English literature. Investigate modern Indian literature in English translation. Evaluate women writers and the survey of English literature. Investigate the impact of the Bible on English literature. Evaluate the impact of the Classics on Literature.